Otter 16

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
rags
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Otter 16

Post by rags » Wed May 13, 2009 2:46 pm

First Build, here in Ft Lauderdale, Florida and first problen what is the total depth of frame "A"

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Otter 16

Post by jacquesmm » Wed May 13, 2009 3:03 pm

It's on the plans: add the dimension above the baseline to the one below the baseline.
I have the metric version here: 239 + 218.

This assumes that by depth you mean height.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

jericarla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jericarla » Wed May 13, 2009 7:45 pm

good luck im hoping to start my ot 16 in june

rags
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rags » Wed May 13, 2009 10:19 pm

It was my first attempt and didn’t quite look at the measurement correctly. I moved on to marking out "B" and later discovered that IO had not looked close enough. I managed to mark out today A,B,C,D and because of the tight placement of the patterns I had to do the Mid Seat Top next. This also positions me for drafting the Mast partner and Daggerboard tomorrow time spent was 3 hours but was getting quicker as confidence and experience came

jericarla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jericarla » Wed May 13, 2009 10:42 pm

post lots of pics and write alot ask bunches of questions ive been perusing the lists here since november i ordered my plans in feburary. im hoping to order the epoxy and stuff this june and be wet by my birthday in august great blessings on your endeavor jc

rags
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rags » Thu May 14, 2009 10:50 am

Question the width of Mast Partner?
plans show length as 33 1/8 and 28 1/4 that's ok And the hole measurments for location is fine. But don't see any width?
Ray

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Thu May 14, 2009 1:05 pm

I haven't seen those plans myself, but as a genral rule, if the plans are to a scale of 1" equals 1 foot, or some similar trustworthy sizing, you can buy a triscale cheap enough and actually measure off the plans with the apprpriate scale on the ruler. :)

There are basically two types of Triscale you will find in your local big box office supply store... and Engineer scale, and an Architect scale. You wouldn't want the Engineer triscale. You want the Architect triscale.

The picture on this link is actually an error! It shows an Engineer scale even though it is supposed to be a page for an Architect scale, so don't trust the picture, but all else in the description and price is correct.
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/ ... 051_SEARCH

The picture in this link is what should have been in the link above, except you obviously pay a lot more to have the grooves *color coded*. 8O :lol:
http://www.staples.com/office/supplies/ ... 051_SEARCH

Here is the box on most every official plan drawing that shows the scale of the drawing itself. It is a standard requirement in drafting to have such a box on every major page (unless perhaps it is a concept inset drawing)....

I made roll molds to more easily roll my hull while working on it. I marked 10 inches aft of the forward frame and then lofted measurements from *the lines* of the hull on the scaled drawing, all possible with the triscale.

The final molds were close enough and tweaked with some scrap.

Triscales are handy to have around. I have a color coded one and one without the *color coding*. They are identical except for the purty colors in the center. For less than $4.00, they are very handy to have around if you do any sort of work with scale drawings, whether you are reading them or sketching them up.

Happy *measure 4 times, cut once*. :D Always review the plans carefully first since your dimension may be *hidden* there if you look it over carefully (as in the previous example where you had to add two values from the baseline). There are some older traditional building method plans where you really have to hunt down measurements, or, they are not given at all except in the lines of the drawing itself, and you have to loft them from the lines drawing of the hull. These plans sold here are friendly, especially when they have a designer that goes along with them, that is conveniently available. And remember that there are some corrections posted on the http://www.bateau2.com main page. Look that over as well. :)
Last edited by ks8 on Thu May 14, 2009 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jericarla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jericarla » Thu May 14, 2009 1:25 pm

its on the appendages page plan appendages, #273/5
bottom center of page thanks i had not looked for that yet
now i know jc

jericarla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jericarla » Thu May 14, 2009 1:31 pm

looking closer it shows 4 1/8 " from back edge to center of mast hole so figure 4 1/8" from front to center of mast hole giving 9 inches total wider is ok but narrower wont be, the actual width would depend on the mast diameter. you will probably want at least 2 inches from the edge of the mast hole to the edge of the partener, i would increase that by 1/2 inch for each inch of mast diameter you build above whats stated in the plans but jaques would know better lets see what he says

jericarla
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jericarla » Thu May 14, 2009 1:39 pm

darn new math 4 1/8
+4 1/8
8 1/2
hey im blonde over 50 and went to public school in california its not who won the game its who won the fight after the game (rough neighborhood)