Exceptable place for battery

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Old Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Exceptable place for battery

Post by Old Kid » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:02 pm

I am now at the point to wire my CR13 for a trolling motor. Will run 6 awg wire back to the transom for a plug in, for the trolling motor. My question is about battery placement. Would i have problems buy placing the battery up forward with the mast ? The battery will be in a battery box. I am worried about effecting the boats performance with this weight up forward. Thank you for your help.

fishin'
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Exceptable place for battery

Post by fishin' » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:14 pm

Hey there,

Why are you installing a trolling motor? I just want to make sure you really need to before you go through the expense. If you plan to use the boat without the sail occasionally that is fine. Just want to help. I can't imagine where else you might put it in this boat. There is not much room

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:50 pm

Is 6 ga going to be big enough? the farther you move the battery away from the motor will cause problems unless you increase the conductor size.

You can use "WireSizer" to calculate the acceptable conductor size.

http://www.midcoast.com/~aft/wiresz32.html
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Old Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Old Kid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:19 am

I like to sail on the lakes in missouri during the middle of the week. Little or no boats on them at that time of week. The CR13 has a small interior space and no room to store oars. Need something to get you back to the dock when the wind is dead. I won't consider a small outboard motor, don't need the problems. Had good luck ,a friend gave me a near new trolling motor so he could buy a bigger one. going to use it. The 6awg wire will be ok, could go to 8awg battery wire. The Trolling motor will draw 15 amps per hour, no long hours run on it. I am just worried about the weight up toward the bow. 25 to 50#

Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:38 am

The problem with direct current applictions are high amp draws need large cables and so do hooks-ups that are overly long. If your cables are too small for the distance involved you'll waste juice heating up the cables and cut your usablr run time.
Yopu;ll know if anything is wrong just by feeling the cables.

Knottybuoyz
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Knottybuoyz » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:09 pm

6 Ga is more than enough.

Better to make sure. Burning electrical wire on a boat is something I have experience with. I don't like it! :?
Yours Aye! Rick
"It's not the boat "you built" until you've sworn at it, bled on it, sweated over it, cried beside it and then threatened to haul the POS outside and burn it!"

Old Kid
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Old Kid » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:29 pm

I am going to try and test it first on long runs with the trolling motor, and check the cables temperature before installing in the boat. Thanks for the Help

gstanfield
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gstanfield » Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:42 pm

Are you sure it only takes 15amps? That seems like a small draw for an electric motor. My Minn Kota calls for a max current draw of 37amps for a 40lb thrust motor. I've read that in general 12V motors tend to run around 1 amp per lb thrust as a rough estimate. That would be backed by 37amps for 40lbs.

I would double check your numbers just to be safe..

George

cape man
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by cape man » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:15 pm

To answer your original question placing the battery forward should be no problem and may actually improve the performance. Looking at the study plans and the pictures, that hull sits low in the back especially with two people aboard.

#6 will also be fine for a run like that on a trolling motor. If you still have questions go to the Minnkota site. http://www.minnkotamotors.com/what_gaug ... nomyid=977
They give gauge wire requirements for each of their motors based on the distance to the battery.
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

lncc63
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by lncc63 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:04 pm

Hi OldKid. I would put the battery just forward of the DB case though I don't see how you can get it in there. Forward of the mast doesn't seem like a good idea. On one outing my wife stowed a good amount of beach rocks in that area and I had quite a time motoring back to our launch point.