Sea Kayak Builders?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
zeuson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by zeuson » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:40 pm

Hello everyone,

I am building an orca, my second boat. The first was a Dave Carnell design $200 dollar boat, but I made it stich and glue using the info in plans I bought from Bateau. Cost more tha $200, but worked out nice and sails great for this beginner. I have the hull on the Orca together with the seems taped. Rather than tape just the seams on the bottom I covered the whole bottom with fiberglass. Just finished sanding it and will wait until the rest is done to fair it smooth, although I'm pleased with how the fiberglass went on and with a little sanding is already pretty smooth. Next comes the deck. If all goes well, I might be able to float it next week.

Ken

Bart
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Bart » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:45 pm

Hey Ken,

I'm building an Orca too!
See pictures in my album.
I think I'm just as far as you are. Also glassed the bottom. I'm thinking of putting some extra glass in the area you stand on when stepping in, for extra strength and as anti-skid (will not fill the weave completely there).

Greetz,
Bart

Album: http://gallery.bateau2.com/thumbnails.php?album=174
Make boats, not war.

Check out www.bartloeff.nl

Charlie
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Charlie » Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:58 am

Bart,
Getting into a kayak is not like stepping into "klompen". In fact, if you are athletic enough to stand up in a boat 24" wide please send pictures.
Some builders do 'glass inside the cockpit for added strength but not for anti-skid. Even a large cockpit requires sliding in and sliding out.
What your cockpit will need is padding. Everyone is a little different so you will have to design your own furnishings. It requires trial and error to get it right.
Good luck,
Charlie

Bart

Post by Bart » Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:23 am

Didn't mean to stand up straight in the kayak when stepping in, I know how to get into a kayak... :lol:
What I meant was to make the bottom extra strong to carry all my weight for the short period I'm stepping into the thing. But I found out it's not necessary. I put my kayak (the hull without the deck) on the ground last night, with two small supports at the location of the bulkheads. The bottom was about 4" free from the floor. I could step into the kayak without any problem, no sign of even then smallest bend in the bottom! So I'll leave out the glass on the inside.
Working on the deck cleats now - things are going pretty well.

Bart
Make boats, not war.

Toni V
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Toni V » Tue Aug 17, 2004 4:25 am

Your kayak is looking nice, Bart! :D

From the pics it seems that the deck cleats have made the hull bit edgy. Is that true or just how it shows in pics?

Has someone made their own paddle? Just wondering how heavy it will end up.

I'll start my building this fall...

Bart

Post by Bart » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:28 am

Hi Toni,

You are right about the sheer line looking a little edgy. It has nothing to do with the cleats, before installing them it allready looked the same. Maybe it's just an optical illusion, disappearing when the deck has been installed.

Just posted some new pic's today...

Bart
Make boats, not war.

Toni V
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Toni V » Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:15 am

Ahh, my plans arrived. I thought those were lost while shipping, but the plans arrived! :D

A bit shame that I don't have time to start building just now, but I'll order the stuff needed, and ...soon...