To glass or not to glass entire bottom? Want opinions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
mr weekend
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by mr weekend » Sat Jul 10, 2004 9:30 pm

:D Hello Gentlemen, I'm a long time woodworker, but new to the world of boatbuiding. I've really enjoyed reading up on all the designs, and have decided to do an FL14 to get in the water asap, then I'll build the OB19 over the winter. I live in Morehead City, NC, so they'll get a lot of use. I'm 215#+, so I'll definitely glass the FL14 bottom. I'll request the 6 oz. glass when I order the epoxy kit. Keep up the good work!

mr weekend

"If you're not a Liberal at 20 you have no heart,

mcpapa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

more glass cloth - V12

Post by mcpapa » Sun Jul 18, 2004 11:51 am

Well here's what I ended up doing on mine. I got a good deal on 4 oz. cloth, so that's what I bought. I gave the entire bottom a layer, going up the sides over the 4" tape. After that, since I had a lot of 4" tape left I gave the keel and skeg another piece of 4" cloth. So at the keel I've got 2 layers of 6 oz. and a layer of 4 oz.; on the skeg one layer of each weight.

Now I'm in the process of fairing with a mix of epoxy and microballons. It's a lot like doing drywall - thin layer sand, another layer, sand. Hope it's all worth it in the end.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Sun Jul 18, 2004 1:39 pm

Hello McPapa,
Hope it's all worth it in the end.
Of course it will be! Just be fair to yourself in what you use as a definition of *worth*.

The 4 oz cloth will definitely toughen up the bottom. The fairing will make it look and glide through the water much better. It's not as if you'll be re-entering the atmosphere with it. And you are gaining experiences that you may apply to another project in the future.

If I understand right, you'll be towing the boat behind a larger sailboat, yes? It will provide lots of relaxation sailing while at an anchorage. Rowing exercise. The satisfaction of building your own boat, a thing which is very useful. Experience with materials. Additional knowledge and confidences to encourage others with. A sure subject of conversation for making new friends on the water. Shall we go on ???

And you're moving right along. Fairing already? You too will probably be finished before me. :lol:

sincerely,
ks

mcpapa
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

fairing - yes

Post by mcpapa » Sun Jul 18, 2004 2:11 pm

Yes, fairing. I got a little experience right away by building the mast and boom for my sailing version of the V12 before I bought any plywood. I must say I've collected some very useful tools while building this, mostly based on recommendations from others on this website. My Cable Porter obital sanding is great, my dremel knockoff has been useful, and my power planer I couldn't be without.

I'm getting anxious to try her out. After it's all glassed and faired I might float it to see where the water line is. Maybe even strap the 2 HP on her and see how she does.

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:29 am

I'm getting anxious to try her out. After it's all glassed and faired I might float it to see where the water line is. Maybe even strap the 2 HP on her and see how she does.
tempting isn't it? Just ask Mike D. He's been using his Caravelle for awhile and he may still not have painted it! 8O

sincerely,
ks

zeuson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

carbon bottom

Post by zeuson » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:20 pm

When you folks say coating the bottom with carbon/expoxy mix, are you talking about a graphite cloth or something else. IF something else where do you get it?

Ken

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:36 pm

Ken:
Graphite Powder - 1 pound (1/2 qt).
1 pound graphite powder
Price $7.00

here: http://www.boatbuildercentral.com/products.php?id=13
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana

faroo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Graphite Sun Protection

Post by faroo » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:31 am

I found the following information on this website
http://www.wessex-resins.com/westsystem/wsfillers.html

423 Graphite Powder
A fine black powder added to WEST SYSTEM epoxy (10% by volume) to produce a low friction exterior coating with increased scuff resistance, durability and mar resistant. Epoxy/graphite is commonly used as a coating on rudders and centreboards, or on the bottoms of racing craft that are dry sailed. The epoxy/ graphite mix can also be used in teak deck construction to simulate traditional seams in appearance and to protect the resin from sunlight.

8O :P
Take Care