SK14

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
carguy415
New Poster
New Poster

SK14

Post by carguy415 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:25 pm

Started on this last weekend with only a few hours of work you really feel like you get a lot done. Waiting on the epoxy kit to come in to start gluing. I'm a metal fabricator that has almost no experience working with wood and no experience with boats but its fun to try something new. So far its going pretty easy. we'll see how I do when it comes to fiber-glassing (also no experience).. wish me luck. probably wont get around to working on her again for a while but i figured I would post up some pictures.

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: SK14

Post by stickystuff » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:52 am

Being a metal fab.man is no diff. Than a carpenter. You know how to do a layout. tHats the easy part and the fun part.Next best part is watching it all come together. now the epoxy part. You will get a 2 to 1 mix. 2 parts resin and 1 part hardener. Get a pack of red sola cups. Small ones to start. This way you get used to working with it. Get the slow speed hardener. It will give you a little more worki
Ng time nail you get used to workiNg with it.Next get a few of the already mixed marking levels on the side of the cups. Find them at lowes,Home Depot or most any paint supplier.Mark the cups resin on two of them and hardener on the other. tHis will give you the correct mixture and consistency . Pour them in the larger measuring cup. Scrape all the sides to get it all out. Iusewood Toynbee depressor sticks. Any craft store or Walmart carries them.Mix hem all together hen add the wood flour.Mix to peanut butter fhickness. I like jig .smoother and not as stiff as other brands. cHoosy mother thickness.This will get you started on filling all the seams.Sorry for the typing errors. Doing this on an I Pad. Gets a little touchysometimes. This will get you started. Go to Harbor Freight if you have one. Get a pack or so of bonds spreaders. flexible plastic, great for spreading epoxy. Get two or three of each size. Next you will need some acetone for cleaning up your tools.I use bonds spreaders, drywall knives, and if you have some old cd discs they work great for spreading radius on sides etc.Buy a box of disposable paint brushes. vEry cheap in Harbor freight. later on you will need some foam rollers. gEt the high density ones. use a four or six width rollers and handles. A must for spreading epoxy. Lowes or Home Depot for the.Don,t get the cheap flimsy ones. They will come apart and make a mess.
This will get you started.After you mix a few batches you will get the feel of it and it will all come together. Enough for now. Keep the photos up. yOu will love it. If you have a set of pinking scissored use them on your bonds spreader to make a knot he'd trowel to spread the thickened epoxy on your transom build ups and floor backing for hand rails. I envy you. Can,t wait to get some extra money to start on mine. Keep the pictures coming.Looks great so far.This will be my fourth build when I get started. :D :D
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glu

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:59 am

Yikes. My spelling sucks on this thing. Tongue depressors (wooden sticks for mixing) 8O Like I said doing this on an I pad at3:30 in the morning.Many other mix spells fro hitting doubles on key board. All good. The boat looks fantastic so far.
Capt. Ken Owens

glossieblack
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by glossieblack » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:55 am

Go carguy415! Looking good. :D
Completed R13 two part nesting rowboat. ST 21 under construction .... where seeking perfection is recognized as the enemy of the good.

carguy415
New Poster
New Poster

Post by carguy415 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 7:08 am

Thanks for the help those are some pretty good tips. I also suppose i should have a someone help me mixing epoxy as i go. The funny thing is in working with metal the dimensions have to be a little more precise. With that said if i do make a mistake i can just weld it back together..... with this if i cut something to short I'm down an $80 sheet of plywood ... which i almost did. I was under the impression that all points are marked from the original edge but on this one it was supposed to be marked from my other point(not sure if i am right or wrong but it works).. in the first picture the mark off of the original edge gave me a weird jog instead of a smooth curve so i marked the point off of the 3/4" point i had already put in and it seemed better plus i figured i could always remove material if i had to. if you look on the port side in the second picture just under the pvc dowel you can see where the original mark would have put me... the final picture is a couple pieces screwed together that are the over all width of the boat. Im hoping when im all said and done that i can get her out of the basement :doh:

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:21 am

It looks real good including the fix of the small mistake.
Fairness is very important: if you see a curve that is not fair, something must be wrong, check the dimensions.
But you fixed it, it looks fine now.

Our precision of 1/8" is more than enough for that type of building. Nobody can cut plywood with much greater precision anyway
and to show dimensions to 1/16 or 1/32" would send the wrong message. Builders could interpret it as if 1/16 matters, it doesn't.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:13 pm

Ahem! I resemble that remark.I SPENT 32 +YRS USEING CIRCULAR, BAND SAW,TABLESAWS etc. I think I can still cut a straight line as well as radius cuts with a skil saw. :D 8O 8O Just kidding. I have an old Black and Decker circular saw which is one of the best ones made in its era. Heavy duty aluminum table and tilt system. Low RPM but has a lot of tourque. Best saw I have ever used. I have used all of them over the years but this one is the best.
Capt. Ken Owens

carguy415
New Poster
New Poster

Post by carguy415 » Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:14 pm

Tell me about it sticky stuff. i went to a couple flea markets this weekend looking for an older circular saw. I burned up my cheap skilsaw. Didn't end up finding one, but picked up a palm sander and jig saw for $12 :-D .

Ended up cutting a few more pieces tonight. Did a little more dry fitting. Very excited about how these kits go together. Really want to build a FS17 or an OB17 in the future

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:41 am

WAHH! Any body have an extra $800 laying around they don,t need any moore? Love to get started on mine while I still can. :( :lol:
Capt. Ken Owens

stickystuff

Post by stickystuff » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:50 am

Hit the pawn shops. Lots of construction guys out of work. Stay with the top end tools. Wally world stuff wont last.Best tools I have found for under $30.
Capt. Ken Owens