SK14 Too Much "Soul" and End Cap Question

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
anamealreadyinuse
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

SK14 Too Much "Soul" and End Cap Question

Post by anamealreadyinuse » Sat May 14, 2016 9:03 am

Two Questions:

1.) I seem to have more "soul" than I should. I'm doing the shorter bow cap version of the SK14 and cut Frame B and the bowcap to the specifications indicated. Somehow the sole/floor is about 2 inches longer than necessary. I've tried to force Frame A as far forward as I could while still resting on stringers but it still leaves about 1/2 to 3/4 inch.

I assume I need to "trim" the sole somewhere? My concern is where do I do this? You'll notice in the pics below if I trim at the very end of the sole where it meets Frame A, this sides will leave a rather large gap. If I trim the opposite end of this shorter piece of sole I'll face the same issue I'm afraid.

I'm thinking the best place to trim is back where the sole meets the transom appears to be the best place? Suggestions?

2.) The shorter bow cap version is going to be too short or have issues width wise depending on where I position Frame A. I can move Frame A up to the very end of the stringers and still have a small gap. Should I add some "width" to Frame A by attaching another cut of wood to Frame A level with the top of Frame A to extend it?

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: SK14 Too Much "Soul" and End Cap Question

Post by jacquesmm » Sat May 14, 2016 9:45 am

Trim it as needed. Something happened that seems to have provoked a chain reaction of small mistakes.
From here on, do what most builders do and check all dimensions on the hull before cutting anything.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

anamealreadyinuse
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by anamealreadyinuse » Sat May 14, 2016 2:47 pm

That's the scary part, I meausred twice and then a 3rd to be sure :lol: :doh: -

anamealreadyinuse
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by anamealreadyinuse » Mon May 23, 2016 2:05 pm

Quick Follow UP on this....it appears after making sure the transom lined up properly with the floor pieces evenly and that the transom to bow was straight and the stringers and braces were properly inserted I ended up with the sole fitting without any cutting as you can see in a dry fit. Bit relieved as I was not looking forward to cutting. Image

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff » Sat May 28, 2016 5:08 am

OK Here is what you can do. Hopefully you haven't cut yet. Layout and cut the 1/2 circle drain in the transom. Now mark the edges of the floor where it lays next to the transom cut out. Measure back 1/2 in or what ever length that you have overlapped in the picture and saw from this point to the sides.If the notched point sticks past the transom then all you have to do is trim it off flush to back side of transom. Easy fix and actuall best to do it this way to allow full smooth draining of the sole. Seal and epoxy all edges for total capsulation of the sole. Hope you can do this. sorry for the late post. Computer wasn't up to par. :help: :doh: :D :D
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glu

Pirate Pete
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Pirate Pete » Sat Oct 28, 2017 6:23 pm

I am building a short foredeck sk14 too: https://sites.google.com/site/piratepet ... ateau-sk14. I recently lofted up and cut out my sole. [down near the bottom]

I did notice that the sole would be longer than the gap between the transom and my bulkhead 'A'.

That is curious and I wondered if it had something to do with manual lofting and getting the curve right?

Anyhow, I lofted as per plans and fitted the transom section (most of a sheet of 4x8' ply) and it fitted perfectly.

Buoyed by how the fit was so very good, I boldly trimmed the front bit of the shorter bow section of the sole to shorten it (probably only about 1"-2": not much). I would have figured out that from maybe checking the width of the sole at bulkhead A.

Worked like a charm.

So re-capping. I trimmed the front bit of the front section of the sole. Don't go trimming the transom end. The lofting for the sole is pretty good.

Good luck