My FL 14

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: My FL 14

Post by 94'325is » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:06 pm

You can use woodflour and epoxy to fair but it's going to be a bear to sand. Most people use the silica/microballon mix sold here and finish up with Quickfair. Personally I'm going after a workboat finish so I'm sticking with just silica/microballon.

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:11 pm

I,m trying to find some microballons for the fairing. Finished the fibreglass got the epoxy on and no air bubbles . So now i got time to look for a trailer. Have to find paint and the motor .
File 9-1-17, 11 58 10 am.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:14 pm

Looks good WHP!! Jeff

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:06 am

That boat is looking great, you shouldn't have much fairing to do, very clean glass work.

Out of curiosity what part of Australia are you in? My wife and I are planning a trip to Australia sometime in the next year and are in the researching stage at this point.

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 1:44 pm

we live in Caloundra , Sunshine Coast, Queensland .
I found a small mistake in my fibreglass work ,airbuble :( . Will cut it out and put a patch fibreglass over it .
File 10-1-17, 4 41 23 am.jpeg
Got a question did any body ever take a FL14 out of protected water, nice day go out to the reef fishing. and how does it behave in a bit of chop.
Should i build in a draining hole( bunghole)in the Transom ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

94'325is
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by 94'325is » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:29 pm

That's not too bad, if that's your biggest mistake you're doing really well!

I used mine all over which is part of the reason I sold it, I was trying to do too much with it. The design of the boat is great, it was never designed to plane or carry a bunch of people/gear for long distances. I used mine primarily in the lakes and coast of central Florida. Mosquito Lagoon is an area on the East Coast that is roughly 20 miles long and about 1-2 miles across. Aside from the ICW on the west side the rest of it is 2-3' deep so when the wind is blowing from the north it gets very choppy, and a very short steep chop at that. The boat took that chop very well and it even went out of Ponce Inlet into the Atlantic once. It's a fairly wide inlet and I timed the tides to be fairly slack but I never felt unsafe. The only time the boat felt very small was when my friend and I would go shrimping and it was very windy while at anchor and also us moving around a lot. Still, it did great and never once felt like it was going to go wrong.

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Mon Jan 09, 2017 4:20 pm

i cut the air bubble out and patched it up found two more small bubbles already fixed .
later i look on a 6hp mercury 2 stroke 2014. Tomorrow i can start the fairing.
Thats my home ground.
Unknown-1.jpeg
Unknown.jpeg

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:24 am

1) Should i build in a drain hole in my FL 14 to make it easier with cleaning or getting water out(or in).
2) What consitensy should the mix have for the fairing?
Any thoughts are welcome.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 am

I use wood flower glue to fair with if a large amount is needed. I just do not like putting on a thick layer of fairing puddy. I mix it just stiff enough so it will not run. I think you can add silica to it to make it a little smoother. I never do it but I should give it a try.
As for the drain hole I would put one in. You will want some way to drain it other than turning it over.
That looks like a really neat boating area. You Aussies sure have some nice areas :D

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Fri Jan 13, 2017 2:15 pm

How many off the rails should i fix tho the bottom ( 3,4,5) ?