My FL 14

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: My FL 14

Post by WHP » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:39 am

Thanks for that ,going tomorrow to Bunnings (outdoor ,hardware , paint wood shop) and have a Look what i can find. Had to make my way to Boating Shop i might find something there. Finished painting on the outside today. Trailer is registered and boat as well.

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:06 pm

My Boat is finished .Went to the shop and got some stuff to make the floor non slip, you sprinkle on the wet paint and paint over it when its dry. Accessorised the boat . Name( Sturm) and rego number on it . Got a Bimini as well . The only thing are my oars, still working on it. Got to work till next Thursday so Friday the 23 feb is the big day we launch the boat. Here are some pictures of the finished product.
File 6-2-17, 12 07 36 pm.jpeg
File 12-2-17, 5 50 29 am.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:30 pm

WHP, really nice job!! Also like that deep blue color!! Jeff

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:32 pm

Really nice looking! Neat detail work. I bet you can hardly wait to get her in the water and give it a try.
Fuzz

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:43 pm

Thanks for that ,looking forward getting it wet ,will post some pictures how it is going .
I think of building a new boat, want an ocean going , still having it on trailer. Any recommendation ? Don't know how happy my wife is about it. She really likes "Storm" my FL 14.,

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:02 pm

For the new boat you need to tell us what you have in mind? Size, use , speed? I am sure you will get lots of input.

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:37 pm

Talked to my wife she doesn’t want to go big with the boat and keep the price down .
I want it ocean going ,had to manage getting true surf along the coast line had to take some waves, stable enough for fishing .
So what is the minimum safe size . Engine size we can figure out with the size of the boat. I don’t need a racer.
Canope or half cabin would be nice, but I'm open to any suggestions . :help:

OneWayTraffic
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by OneWayTraffic » Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:17 am

Your boat could go nearshore on nice days. I've taken a 3.5m (11.5 ft) boat 10km off the west coast of NZ. Always got back safely, though it was no normal 3.5m boat. The limiting factor with yours would be how fast you could get back in if the weather packs in.
I would suggest that you use your boat for a bit first to see if you are happy with the size, but FS14 would be the same size as yours and can plane. FS17 would give a big increase in ability, but is more to build.

Going offshore is more about your ability and experience than the boat you are in. Get a seasons experience in yours then you will know what you like.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:32 am

OneWayTraffic wrote:
Tue Feb 14, 2017 2:17 am
Going offshore is more about your ability and experience than the boat you are in. Get a seasons experience in yours then you will know what you like.
Yes, very true. Some people cross oceans in kayaks or boat 10' long but for most of us, it depends on the size, weather and crew experience.
There is no absolute rule that says that a 19' boat can go offshore but not an 18' one.

Make your boat unsinkable with buoyancy foam and get a feel for the boat by first going out in good weather only.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

WHP
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by WHP » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:09 pm

Thanks for the input so far . I have zero boating experience all i know is i love the water and love to be out there. Going to use my boat for some time and fix my garage another boat .I had no sturdy work surface except floor and some packing cartons with a sheet of wood over it .
Had a look on the FS 17 study plans . I like it, priced it as well coming in at $1800 Australian dollar. Would build it with high sides.
The C17 very good looking , not sure if my garage is tall enough( we just renting ) .Have to sell the plans to my wife, she likes the water but not spending money :roll:
So tomorrow is the big day for my FL 14 'Sturm". Getting the first time wet.
Finishing my oars today making oar stopper out of rope . Ready to go .