Upcoming HC14 - Plan questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming HC14 - Plan questions

Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:19 pm

Madgar, very happy we were able to help you today via the call with Jamie!! I hope your wife's health continues to improve!!! Thank you for your business and I look forward to following your build!!!! Jeff

Madgar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Madgar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:51 pm

I know people have used everything from luan to okoume for a small build like a canoe. This canoe really is just a learning project for me but I really would like it to turn out nice and last for my children and maybe their future children, which is why I had chosen to use okoume. Unfortunately I have been waiting for along time for my local lumber yard to get this ply for me. It's been over a month and I actually spoke with them about it before my wife's injury and Xmas.

Anyway, they called me today to say that their distributor said at least anoth 2-3 weeks. So, my question is, if I change to Meranti (which is available) is the weight the only major difference I will face for this build? I know meranti is nice also, I'm just not experienced with either one of these.

Also, if shipping wasn't such a crazy cost I would have no doubt purchased the wood from Bateau. I mean, I got the epoxy kit here and had it to my house in Maryland in 3 days.

I am missing a lot of available time waiting for the lumber, it seems crazy and is frustrating.

What do you guys say? What real difference will I face switching to meranti or something else

Thx in advance

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:01 pm

Madgar, Meranti 1088 is a very high quality marine plywood, not quite Okoume 1088 but still a very high quality marine plywood. The two big factors for building a canoe is Meranti 1088 is heavier and much more stiff to work with!! Again Meranti 6566 is good marine plywood but even heavier and more stiff. I think you can use either the Meranti 1088 or 6566 and either will last for a long, long time. It is just going to be heavier and more more work for you when bending or shaping!! And please, if anyone else has a different view, please post for him!! Jeff (Boat Builder Central & Bateau)!!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:19 pm

Correct about the weight, longevity and bending.
On an HC14, the extra weight may be around 10 lobs. Meranti does not bend as nicely as Okume, you will have to pull hard at the ends of the hull but it is not impossible.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Madgar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Madgar » Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 pm

Thank you both for the quick response.

It's just frustrating at this point that I am having such a hard time getting it. I guess I have something to think about because I am losing some free time that is hard to come by with 2 teenage kids.

I may cave in and just order the meranti instead. Should I worry at all about it cracking during the bending process? I wouldn't think that the hc14 canoe would be too much of a bend, but again, first time doing this and I really want to start off doing things the right way.

Kind of wish I was closer to you guys :D , maybe we can expand Bateau to a mid Atlantic store 8O , a lot of boat people up here on the Chesapeake and Potomac and nothing like you guys until you get way up the bay :o

Anyway, thank you both

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:02 am

Madgar wrote:
Fri Apr 07, 2017 8:51 pm

It's just frustrating at this point that I am having such a hard time getting it. I guess I have something to think about because I am losing some free time that is hard to come by with 2 teenage kids.
Madgar, I too have a couple of teenagers. They certainly don't mind making plans for you do they! :lol:
Take a look at my build thread "Eric's C21". I too had a hard time getting it. Look at all the question I asked. Not once was any one short with me, nothing but support. Even if I thought I was driving them crazy, they never complained. These are good people here at Bateau and on the forum.
Jacques told me once "to just trust the plans and it would make sense". He was right, it starts to fall in place. So don't be frustrated, I got through it, you will too. 8)

All the best with your build.

bateau-webmaster
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by bateau-webmaster » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:26 am

Madgar, Firstly I have to say, go for the good ply, you won't regret it. For something small, Okoume might seem a big expense, but the way it takes bends alone is worth the price in my opinion. The Meranti 1088 still, is much better than any plywood I've seen other than the Okoume.

By the way about an Atlantic store, I think it would be a great idea to increase our shipping flexibility. I think the biggest hurdle would be financing another CNC Machine for that. I Personally have been trying to get to the point where I could run another location, but my sights were set on the west coast.

By the way, shipping to your area can be costly, but if you are willing to pick it up from a freight terminal, you can often save quite a bit. If you like I can even pull you a custom freight quote, which will almost certainly beat the website's estimate for shipping.
Cracker Larry wrote:Build on 8)
Jamie Fisk
Order Desk, Webmaster
Boat Builder Central, Bateau

Madgar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Madgar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:40 pm

Jamie, thanks for that offer, that is mighty kind of you. Let me do this, on Monday I am going to the lumber yard and talk with them in person to find out exactly when they believe they will have it. If it truly is going to be a few more weeks I may just take you up on your offer. Not sure what you would need from me to get a quote but I don't mine driving to a terminal to pick it up, just don't know exactly where that will be from me, have to research that. Anyway, thanks a ton for your help. It's much appreciated.

Madgar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Madgar » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:21 pm

Eric1, wow, you're quite the perfectionist. By now your boat has to be smooth as a baby's butt. You are doing that with teenagers, hats off to you. That's awesome.

I just started going through your thread (again) but I keeping jumping to the end. :D I've read most of it prior but probably haven't checked in on it for a couple weeks. You do really nice work, quite intimidating 8O .

I do appreciate you taking time out to keep me grounded (and I haven't even started). I know there are great people on this site that are quick to offer a hand, that's why I feel like I'll be ok (if I just get my lumber). I also appreciate the time you (and many others) take to share your work. It's builds like yours that inspire, encourage, teach, and sometimes scare us folks just beginning. Thanks for sharing and I look forward to your continued efforts.

Great job

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 7:40 pm

You honor me Sir! Thank you for your kindness.