FS14_LS Seat

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Davidtn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

FS14_LS Seat

Post by Davidtn » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:58 pm

I have just purchased the plans for the FS14_LS and am wondering if anyone has played around with the idea of installing a seat. I've been considering building in a fish box which would double as a seat, somewhat like the 'Solo Skiff'; or a small casting seat.

Many thanks in advance.

Dave

poleposition
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: FS14_LS Seat

Post by poleposition » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:40 pm

You may want to take a look @ Seaslugs' FS14-LS thread for some ideas; I can't imagine a better example to follow...

http://forums.bateau2.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=61678

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:52 pm

I agree 100% with the recommendation from pole -position!!! Jeff

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:25 pm

I see no problem installing a seat/cooler, the boat is wide enough to comfortably walk around it if you keep it to a reasonably narrow profile, maybe 16". I built mine with an extra wide overhang, 4 layers laminated around the gunwales making the overall width at the widest point 63". So even with a 11.5" walk around gunwale width there's still 40" inside the cockpit. I highly recommend moving frame B forward, lengthening the cockpit to 58" to both give more room for the seat, and also easier handling of rods both in and out of the aft facing rod tubes. You can see in my gallery the forward rod holders are approximately where frame B was shown on the plans. Just be sure to install supports for a potential seat, and chase tubes prior to installing the sole. Mike

poleposition
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by poleposition » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:32 pm

Mike,
Not to derail the thread, but did you ever power yours, and if so, what kind of numbers were you getting?

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:15 pm

Poleposition, I just finally rebuilt the trailer yesterday and registered the boat today. I'm ready and legal now, but really can't afford to buy a motor at this time, so unfortunately no numbers at this time. Mike

Davidtn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Davidtn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 pm

G'day gents and thank you for the response.

Mike this is a newbie question but did you actually move frame B forward or did you cut it down to sole level in order to maintain its position. If the former, did you install another cut down frame at the original position of frame B to maintain strength.

By the way - your build is magnificent, I can't hope to replicate it but I'll certainly have a go.

seaslug

Post by seaslug » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:27 pm

Hey David, I placed the frames as shown on the plans for stitching the panels and glassing the hull, to maintain the correct hull shape. I only moved the frame forward after flipping the hull over and working on the inside, and after laminating a few layers of rub rail. The little I moved frame B forward had no affect on the strength of the hull. I can honestly say, with the short length of the boat overall, the multiple layers of rub rail epoxied around the perimeter, and with the frames glassed in, even before the deck was installed and glassed, I'm quite confident you could roll the boat down a hill and not do any damage. You can leave the frame under the sole in its original location, but I didn't find that to be necessary.....Thanks a lot for the kind words. You'll really enjoy the build process, I can't wait until I can build another. Mike

Davidtn
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Davidtn » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:33 pm

Thanks a lot for your help Mike, I'm looking forward to building over the (Australian) winter.

Cheers - Dave

drbobfromopp
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by drbobfromopp » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:22 pm

Just finished FS14 build. Lotta fun. We added a seat, sorta. From the rear casting deck frame, we built a 10inch extension the width of the stringers. Can send you a photo. (plan to post an account) /.....We filled it with floatation foam, then put a nice, swiveled, folding, comfy boat seat on it. This is the helm seat (we put in a small center console for steering wheel)...
But beware of added weight. I have some questions here (see other posts) about power. See my other posts.