FS13 Modifications and Renesting

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Texas Seth
New Poster
New Poster

FS13 Modifications and Renesting

Post by Texas Seth » Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:50 pm

Hi all,
I purchased the FS13 plans about a half a year ago and plan to start building sometime this spring or summer, hopefully. I do intend to modify the plans and wanted to get feedback from you experienced folks on any issues you see that may arise.

I intend to lengthen the foredeck by about 15 inches, add a fuel tank to the most forward section of the bow, and make the rear section of the foredeck an insulated drybox. I will move the transom forward 12 inches, splitting the rear with two flotation pods on both sides of the motor. I will extend the transom knees forward about a foot farther from the transom and enclose the areas between the knees and the sides of the boat, making them dry storage for tools and tackle. I will also add three inch gunwales.

I have kept all of this nested on the originally planned 4 sheets of plywood except for the transom which I plan to cut from 11/16 plywood. I may also cut the transom knees from the 11/16, we'll see. Gunwale braces will also most likely be cut from the 11/16 as well.

Well there it is. Let me know what you think. Any ideas or concerns are appreciated. I'm working on a scale model and will post a photo when it's complete.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: FS13 Modifications and Renesting

Post by BB Sig » Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 pm

:D Welcome to the forum! :D

Please do not post nesting drawings. The designer does not want these posted for the world to see. He can answer your questions without the drawings or if he can't, he will ask for them in an email.

Sounds like an interesting project. We look forward to seeing how it goes!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:39 pm

That is a lot of changes.

Please stay with the specified transom plywood thickness plus the glass. If thinner, it may break.

That skiff is too small for a fixed tank but it's your boat.

Lengthen a deck is fine.

I do not like the idea of cutting that notch in the bottom. Unless you over power the boat, you can reach the outboard with sinking the stern.

If weight and features are important, look at the SK14.

The FS13 is designed as a light motorized SUP, ideal to paddle or fitted with a trolling motor or a very small outboard. The SK14 is wider and has much more capacity. It can take larger engines , up yo 8 HP. See the video by Tony Nestor, zooming along at 25 mph.
Tony is a big guy and uses an 8 HP:

[youtube]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HOwXWWKDgM[/youtube]
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Texas Seth
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Texas Seth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:10 pm

The transom should be thicker using 11/16 plywood. 11/16 = 0.6875 where as 4x4mm = 0.630.

The fixed tank would be no bigger than 2 gal.. A full tank would weigh no more than 18 lbs, including the weight of the tank.

I've seen somewhere in someone's build of the FS13 that, with even a small outboard, the rear tends to get wet, with the transom drainage hole dipping below water when moving aft to pull start the motor. I plan to use a 5 HP motor as the boat is specified for, but wanted to shift its weight forward.

Additionally, I do not believe my modifications should add but just a few pounds to the overall weight of the boat. This is important as I have decided on these boat plans so that I can still load it atop my jeep. The FS14 would be too heavy and cumbersome.

Is there some specific reason I should avoid doing this or that?

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:46 pm

Adding a fixed fuel tank in a boat that you may turn over to put on your jeep does not sound like fun. Imagine a fuel leak spilling onto/into your vehicle. :( Still would be an interesting build to watch without the built in fuel tank. :)

Is this the first boat you are building? If so, most would recommend sticking to the plans. Jacques has seen those of us who want to modify his designs come and go. He is probably trying to dissuade you from altering it because he really doesn't think it will work based on his experience. When I ask about the modifications I want to make to my boat, his answers give me a pause to think on and then I realize he knows better than me. This is one of the great things about this forum is you still get to get the designer answering questions! :D

Good luck either way! :wink:

gonandkarl
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by gonandkarl » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:20 am

Hi,
I built the FS13 exactly according to plan and would advise you do it also. The fixed tank is definitely not a good idea. I would use an outboard motor with 5 hp only from the centre with a plastic pipe as tiller extension. I do not know how much you weigh, but in my case ( 125 kg appr. 250 pounds ) I had my feet wet moving just a bit towards the transom and that was without any motor hanging there. Unfortunately I did not get the chance to use my electric MinnKota C20 motor on it last summer but I plan to use a plastic pipe as a tiller extension and the battery in front of the grab bar instead of an ice box. Your idea about weight distribution is correct putting a 2 gallon tank in front, but you would also need a fixed fuel hose to the motor. This is completely impossible the more I think about it while I still got my stand up paddling of the FS13 in my mind. I felt a bit wobbly but nevertheless safe not to turn the boat over but all the time I was aware if I make one step on the boat I am in the water. This was also the reason why I finished my grab bar and the seat and once I am confident with them on the water I will give the electric outboard a try. The weight of the boat is in my case a bit higher as per plan, most probably because like every beginner builder I used too much epoxy. You are right to chose the FS13 for moving it on the roof carrier which I want to do this Summer instead of on the trailer. I will transport it there with the keel down to pull it easier over the back of the car to the ground. This would be a solution for your fixed tank not leaking onto the car but quickly forget it again, because you can only handle bow or transom while at the shore side. On the water you can be positioned only in the centre of the boat standing or sitting that is it. Me being no fisherman I think a 4 pound fish in a fight could maybe capsize the boat over its side. A question about fishing from this boat was previously answered on the forum very vague. You chose a good plan which you should not modify at all and I wish you lots of fun building and splashing around on the water with FS13.
Greetings from Karl ( Austria where capsizing is only possible from June to September)
All pictures of Micro Petrel AD14 and FS13 :

http://gallery.bateau2.com/index.php?cat=87433

Texas Seth
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Texas Seth » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:16 am

I appreciate the responses. The fuel tank was just an idea. The small integral tank on the small outboards means I'd need to take additional gas with me. The fuel tank was just a thought to avoid having to store a fuel can somewhere on board. It's probably more of a hassle than it's worth. I'm a welder/machinist for the air force so I tend to over fabricate my personal projects.

I'm pretty confident I'll be able to maintain stability in the FS13. I weigh 180lbs and I've fished out of a 12'x30" kayak for years. I'm comfortable enough to stand and bow fish from it, regulatory hooking up with fish between 15 to 25 lbs. I've made a profile comparison between the FS13 and my current kayak for reference.
FS13 vs Kayak profile.jpg
I'm afraid, like you mentioned of getting your feet wet even without a motor, that the additional 35lbs for a 2.5hp motor or the additional 58lbs for a 5hp motor would really make things precarious when moving aft to pull start the motor. This is why I'm interested in splitting the rear and moving the transom forward. I recall talk on a build thread for someone's FS13 that they also considered adding additional flotation pods on either side of the motor. I'm fairly certain moving the transom forward is what I will do, I'm just curious if I will need to add any additional bracing as the strain on the boat will certainly be altered.

Thanks again for the help!
Last edited by Texas Seth on Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Wed Feb 22, 2017 12:12 pm

The problem with moving the transom forward is you are shortening and changing the planing surface.
I would leave the transom where it is.
Novi 23 finally launched !