SK14 Questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

SK14 Questions

Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:26 pm

All, the following questions came in to Jacques regarding a father and son build of the SK14: He is thinking about building an SK14 with his son. I have already told him you agreed he could use 4MM Okoume for the build.
Here are a few more of his questions: Did you ask Jacques about the taping of the chines, keel, transom, stringers, and frames?
Answer:
The specs are on the plans and in the building notes. We build several prototypes. It is strong enough as designed. There is taping in some places and not in others.

Question: I can't imagine building without this reinforcement, and with the thinner ply I'd be surprised if he didn't recommend heavier glass.
Answer:
No, same tabbing. 30 years ago, I worked on the design of racing sailboat who crossed the Atlantic: no tabbing of the frames, just putty fillets.

Question: I also looked at some other builds and saw at least 1 that didn't have the knees supporting the transom, just the stringers. Are the stringers and sole enough support for a 6hp engine, or should I just figure on the knees going all the way up the transom like on Tony's boat?
Answer:
The knees are on the plans absolutely required for anything larger than a 20 lbs thrust trolling motor. BTW, the plans do not show it but there should be a limber hole in those knees. I will post a plan update.

Question:
If he (Jacques) thinks I need heavier glass, what weight would he recommend, and if I need 6" tape, add that to my package. I have a roll of 12oz. tape, but that may be too heavy.
Answer:
Not 12 oz. tape please. It would negate the weight saving of going for 4 mm. The weight saving with 4 mm ply is very small, less than 10 lbs.