Temperatures and Marine Epoxy SK build in NC

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
wannabatc
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Temperatures and Marine Epoxy SK build in NC

Post by wannabatc » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:11 pm

Well it has turned winter here in NC so I have decided not to glue anything until I got some feedback on temperature limits. I am building inside in my basement and my thermometer says it has been staying around 60 degrees but tonight it has dropped to 58. I bought both slow and medium gardeners because of the low blushing of the slow and the extra time to work fillets and fiberglass. I bought medium for when I wanted faster set up if I wanted to speed things along but also for colder temps. I'm just getting around to finding out the temperature limits. This my first build and I have little experience with fiberglass work.

What are the minimum temps I can work the slow hardener? And the medium? I have a small space heater and can use it if I have to but would rather avoid that if possible.

Thanks in advance for all you pt input.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Temperatures and Marine Epoxy SK build in NC

Post by Jeff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:54 am

Wannabatc, I will get back to you a little later this morning useless someone responds before I can get back home!!!! Jeff

Jaysen
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Jaysen » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:07 am

I'm a bit south of you. Ive used slow exclusively (I have fast in a box that arrived from BBC so I won't be able to say that in a few more minutes).

I find that under 60F you need 24hr for it to "set" and about 48hr before you can sand at all. 50-60f you need have about 5days till sanding. Under 50f.. go inn vacation or find a heater (2weeks later it was tacky but warmed up and hardened overnight).

A few notes:
1. I'm on the coast so constant high humidity but that shouldnt factor.
2. Temps here swing wildly through the 30-50 range winter. A few of my observation times had big swings.
3. Karl (building ad14 here) showed a great way to provide heat in the cold. I will be stealing it soon.

It's cold this weekend and I'll be working with fast. I'll let you know how it comes out on my three (v12 Lil Bit).

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:20 am

Jaysen, perfect and thank you for the "builders" response!! Jeff