Row 13 build

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Browndog
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Row 13 build

Post by Browndog » Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:32 pm

Cover with fiberglass cloth, then fair.

Keep working. Gonna get cold soon. Looking good so far.

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:40 pm

I would sand the tape - especially blend the edges into the plywood.

This should save some faring in the future after glassing and allow the glass to lay better.

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:18 am

Thanks Browndog. That will make life oh-so much easier now. I got a hectic schedule on top of building this boat!

tcason, that's a great idea, but I am one step ahead of you. I have taken my random orbit sander to those edge (not shown in pic) and everything is flat as can be. I will keep crossing my fingers, though!
Andrew

Building my first boat to be named Slow Motion, a.k.a. R13

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Sun Oct 22, 2017 6:12 pm

What a day! I laid the fiberglass cloth on the boat and brushed and massaged it til the cloth laid flat against every contour of the boat (Pat on my back). When I began rolling the epoxy on, however, the roller picked up the cloth and ruined all the nice work I had done. I ended up cutting off the fiberglass that covered the upper panel. I guess fiberglassing the upper panel is not necessary and saves some weight, so not bad in the end. That said, I like having control over what I do. Definitely didn't have a lot today.

Now the boat is drying outside. The flies seem to like it cause some are landing in the epoxy and getting stuck. I can't imagine they'll hold up to my against my random orbit sander later on. :)

I realise this R13 won't be my last boat build, since I keep eyeing the OB17. Looks like a sweet ride. I will definitely need a workshop for that!

Last edited by ahinkle on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andrew

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 am

Sorry you had such a tough time, but it did turn out looking fine. There are lots of different ways to get the epoxy spread out, once you find what works for you it'll be much easier. Some people pour it on and squeegee it around, some use rollers . . . it's too bad that one of the first things to fiberglass is the largest, getting some practice first would help.
Hank

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:53 am

ahinkle, Fully agree with Pee wee and it really turned-out nice!! Jeff

Eric1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Eric1 » Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:20 pm

Great picture! Nice build too!

ahinkle
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by ahinkle » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:21 pm

Thanks guys, lesson learned. I saw Sam Devlin on Youtube use squeegee and other guy, I think using a roller. My local marine building centre told me to use a roller. Maybe I will try a combo of the two next time.
Andrew

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:54 pm

It looks great. Sometimes things don't go quite as planned even for the most experienced builders. Cracker Larry was very good about revealing what didn't work, and not many are in his league. Misery doesn't mind a bit of companionship, is what I've heard.
I didn't glass the topsides on my V10 and don't think you need to. I did glass more than the plans stipulated but left them alone.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 pm

I glasses anything likely to come in contact with "not water" on the outside of Lil Bit. I used roller for most of it. Tried a squeegee for about .00003 seconds and realized that was a quick path to misery for me. If I recall CL advice to me it was (paraphrased as I don't have access to email)

1. Make sure everything fits right and it flat
2. Label and roll all the glass NEATLY
3. Go buy liquor. You'll want it.
4. Mix a med/slow batch just enough to coat the area to glass.
5. Let it kick and be a little more wet then tacky.
6. Unroll your first piece of glass exactly as you want it. You get 1 shot at it
7. Mix epoxy... pour at your high spot and work to outward from there. Don't go slow but don't rush and fork it up.

He used squeegee and rollers. Told me that the only rule was "use what works for you... but try different things a few times."

Not that any of that helps you now. :)