SK14 Grab Rail location question

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
nkathman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

SK14 Grab Rail location question

Post by nkathman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:25 am

Hi all, I'm getting close to finishing my SK14 build and looking for advice on the best place to mount the grab rail. I saw the other thread from 5/27/16, but if I'm understanding that right there was a measurement on the plans that showed the location to mount the rail. My plans don't seem to have that, or at least I can't find it on them. I see the grab rail in the renderings, but there are no measurements associated with it. For extra info, I'm 190lbs and *hope* to be able to have another <130lbs person in front of the rail occasionally if the boat is stable or nimble enough (TBD). The engine is a Tohatsu 8HP at 81lbs, and there will be a 3 gallon tank right in front of it. There will also be a 18ah battery in the front hatch that with the rest of the electrical components weighs around 20lbs (it's inside the orange box in the bow storage compartment in the pics. The only other thing I plan to carry normally is a small roto cooler that weighs just under 20lbs in front of the grab rail. The layout I'm looking at is in the pics.

So the question really is do I follow a measurement with adjustments for the weight differences or myself, motor, etc or do I rig up the boat as normally expected and try to find the balance point and mount the grab rail just in front of it?
Attachments
IMG_6847.JPG
IMG_6810.JPG
IMG_6808.JPG
IMG_6807.JPG
IMG_6806.JPG

nkathman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: SK14 Grab Rail location question

Post by nkathman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:26 am

I also don't know why the pics are showing up upside down in the original post. If you click on them they render properly.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:02 pm

In the building and on the plans , see profile section, I show a doubler in the middle compartment. I write that the doubler is sufficient to take toggles bolts from the grabrail.
That may be a the limit for a big guy that wants to drive this thing fast: make it a big fat doubler in that case.
That doubler is also a butt block.

That is where the grab rail goes, on that doubler. I am not more accurate because not all grab rails will have the same legs, same shape but in general, locate it as much forward as you can if you use a large outboard. With a trolling motor and for a light sailor, about in the middle.
In your case, forward please.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

nkathman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by nkathman » Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:17 pm

The doubler you're talking about is the two 1/4" sheets epoxied together and recessed into the middle compartment? As in the picture (under the bags of pellets)?
Attachments
IMG_6744.JPG

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Yes, that's it.
What are you doing to those upside down pictures? :D :D :D

stickystuff
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by stickystuff » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:10 am

I always thought rule of thumb was find center of gravity and set consol or grab rail just forward of center. This keeps balance and weight of engine in check. :doh:
Capt. Ken Owens

A little saw dust, a little glu

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Mon Oct 30, 2017 10:34 am

This may not help much, 'cuz of the weight differences, but I have the same grab rail on my SK14. It's front edge is at just over 71", almost 6 feet. That is about as far forward as it will go I think, given where my doubler is underneath the sole. I weigh 180, have a 50 lb battery sitting where your gas tank is, and a 35 lb battery on the nose. With me standing behind the grab rail, she sits just right, with the stern just barely down from level so she'll drain. I would love a 80 lb Tohatsu on her stern and hope moving the battery up by the trolling motor would work, but don't know yet. To me the most important thing is that she not be down by the nose and not drain.

Dougster

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:52 am

Ken is correct about the LCG but that center can vary with the weight of the engine. If you install a bigger engine that what I specify, you must move the grab rail forward accordingly.