Question: Can V10 be built using all 1/4" ply?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
PaulD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Question: Can V10 be built using all 1/4" ply?

Post by PaulD » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:31 am

Hi:

The V10 plan calls for 3/8" ply for the bottom hull panels, transom, and seats.

Can the V10 be build using just 1/4" plywood? If so, would the seat tops and transom require laminating 2 sheets of 1/4" together?

The reason I ask is I have a stack of 1/4" okoume but to order just a couple sheets of 3/8" okoume wouldn't be worth it for the shipping cost.

Thanks.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Question: Can V10 be built using all 1/4" ply?

Post by terrulian » Fri Apr 20, 2018 2:36 pm

I can't locate my plans but I thought the hull was 1/4" and just the frames, transom, seats, breasthook, and transom knees were 3/8".

This is definitely a Jacques question but I wouldn't think making those things I listed above out of 2 X 1/4" laminated would be a problem.

But don't trust my opinion.
Tony

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Fri Apr 20, 2018 3:06 pm

PaulD,

I just went over the plans, the BOM calls for 2 sheets of 6mm for the bottom panels and side panels and 2 sheets of 9mm for the frames, transom, and seats. Jacques would obviously be the ultimate authority on this but I would think that if you have plenty of 6mm then you laminate 2 pieces of 6mm together to make your frames, transom, and seats. You would need to make some minor adjustments due to the increased thickness of those parts. Another option may be to use one layer of 6mm for the frames and seats and simply fiberglass those parts to increase their strength and stiffness, this would also increase the amount of Epoxy you need and increase cost due to the fiberglass. Either way, you are going to be increasing your weight.
Just a suggestion, however, Jacques may say otherwise.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:50 pm

I asked that when I was trying to figure out what to build. Short answer “no”. Glass would help but the weight gets stupid.

Use 3/8 where specified. Including doubled on transom. The epoxy in the transom was important for stiffness (or was that just in the mast partner?)( I’m too young to be this scatter brained)
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:24 pm

Jaysen,
Clarify whether the no answer was for doubling the 1/4" or adding glass.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:45 pm

Use 3/8 where specified for frames. Not worth screwing around with glass. JM said glass would add weight and not prevent flex.
Jaysen wrote:
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:48 pm

Right, but the question was whether he could use two laminated pieces of 1/4" for seats, frame, and transom, which he has a supply of. It seems to me that would be OK.
I used 3/8" on my transom, but it was not doubled. Don't know what the specs were for the V12.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:28 pm

Lammed 1/4 should be ok. Would be lighter than glass. You’d need to triple the transom. The reason JM suggested the double to me was “given where you are you might put a motor on it”. Made sense to me at the time. Still does.
Jaysen wrote:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Sat Apr 21, 2018 12:27 am

Yes, that all sounds right. I didn't double my transom because I was certain I wouldn't use a motor.
Tony

PaulD
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PaulD » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks guys for the insight.

When my Okoume arrived on a tractor-trailer last year, my wife just about killed me...so I'm afraid to order any more for a while. Now I wish I would have purchased a variety of thicknesses.

I suppose I could just get some 1/4" fir marine ply and make the whole thing that way and just put glass on it to mitigate the checking that could occur.

My main goal is to do my first stitch-and-glue build. So maybe doing it as cheap as possible using fir marine ply (in case I bugger it up) could be better...and stay true to design specifications.