Franks SK14 from Japan

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
NavyBuilder13
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Franks SK14 from Japan

Post by NavyBuilder13 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 9:07 am

First I would like to express how awesome it is to see the quality and craftsmanship displayed on this page. As a carpenter/builder its great to see the quality and attention to detail that each of you show on your boats. I got my inspiration from Mike SeaSlugs three boat builds searching the web, been hooked every since. Was originally in the market for a Hobie Pro Angler Kayak, but being 230 lbs I wanted something more stable and sea worthy.

Being stationed in Northern Japan sourcing the right materials has been a struggle and rather expensive. I been searching for the right plywood for months, finally sourced 7 sheets of 6.5 mm 5 ply marine grade plywood for a cool 900.00 with shipping. Luckily I have a staff of 50 local Japanese who been working with Seabees since the 70s so they are helpful in my endeavors. Still looking for a way to get couple gallons of Silver Tip epoxy over this way without breaking the bank.

We were able to purchase a new Honda 6 hp for a decent price since they are manufactured locally.

In the meantime while waiting on the plywood and supplies to show up I have tried to get started with what I can do. Had some thick local Cherry laying around and made some push pole holders similar to Mikes, paddle holders and rod holders for under the Gunwales. Also laid out some full scale card stock hatch templates and console.

Hope to get some saw dust started real soon, thanks for the motivation.

Frank
Attachments
IMG_3201.JPG
IMG_3201.JPG (85.89 KiB) Viewed 4204 times
IMG_2775.JPG
IMG_2775.JPG (120.56 KiB) Viewed 4204 times

OrangeQuest

Re: Franks SK14 from Japan

Post by OrangeQuest » Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:20 am

Wow Frank! All the Wooden tool stands and work benches it already shows you are a wood craftsman. Good luck on getting saw dust flying on your build soon. Welcome to the forum.

P.S. Keep the pictures coming!

OQ

seaslug
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by seaslug » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:25 am

Welcome to the forum Frank, and I'm happy that my build photos helped to get you started. Being a woodworker yourself, you'll really enjoy the entire process, even the sanding is not so bad if you work neatly and plan ahead. Work wet on wet if possible, which will save time and sanding. Just a note on the push pole holders on the SK. Because of the extreme curve of the hull my graphite push pole would have to be bent with such force that I didn't even attempt it, fearing it would snap. I've thought of building one out of a wood closet rod, and if too stiff, making some longitudinal saw cuts until it bent easily enough, than filling those cuts with 5200 or something. Not sure if it will work. I've used Maple and Sycamore for making the holders, paying attention to grain direction to minimize the possibility of snapping off the tops. Also laid a piece of 3 or 4oz cloth on top, and underneath that becomes invisible when epoxied. 2 years of hard use on the FS18 without a broken holder, so they work quite well. I also raised the sheer an inch, anything to help keep water out, and it didn't have a negative effect on the look of the boat. If you are able, purchase the motor first so you can build the transom to the proper height. Good luck with your build, and ask as many questions as needed to get to the splash. Mike

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:28 pm

Frank, Welcome to the Builders Forum!! You will find a great group of experienced builders here who are always ready to help with questions/issues!! I hope you enjoy your time in Japan!! Jeff

NavyBuilder13
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by NavyBuilder13 » Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:48 pm

Thanks for the support guys. I been playing with the measurements and layout would scaling the SK14 by 7 to 8.5% have a super negative effect on performance or structure? That would max the sole out at the widest point to 48" and give me the most for my money plywood wise. I will take Mikes advice on his build and raise the sheer line a bit as well.

NavyBuilder13
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by NavyBuilder13 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:31 am

Paddle/rod holders that I been tinkering with.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:53 am

I have a feeling you are going to be building one fine looking boat Frank :wink:

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:14 am

Had to go back and read to make sure, pictures are hard to tell, but that is cherry wood! So it is going to darken with age!!

Looking good!
OQ

NavyBuilder13
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by NavyBuilder13 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:35 am

OrangeQuest wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 6:14 am
Had to go back and read to make sure, pictures are hard to tell, but that is cherry wood! So it is going to darken with age!!.

Looking good!
OQ

OQ yeah Japan cherry smells good when being cut and harder than our American versions

Fuzz wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:53 am
I have a feeling you are going to be building one fine looking boat Frank :wink:
Thanks Fuzz will see
Attachments
image.jpeg

NavyBuilder13
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by NavyBuilder13 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 7:42 am

**Edit**
Thank the lord for Google translate, polyester resin, fillet putty and some supplies from the local store from in town. This polyester resin is all I have been able to find as of now, try a test before using it anywhere. Still looking for epoxy.
Attachments
image.jpeg
Last edited by NavyBuilder13 on Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.