Fs12 “ Deadrise “

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Tassie Devil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Fs12 “ Deadrise “

Post by Tassie Devil » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:34 am

Hi, I’m interested in the fs12, I’ve been building s&g boats for quite some time now so I’m not a newbie to it. I came here because I was sick of my designers attitude, but his boats are so modern looking and seaworthy plus I got a builders plate and hin number once completed. I only have room at the moment to build a 12 ft boat, we’ll actually I normally build 2 at once to make things quicker as I do this for a job. I just roll them in and out as needed. My question is, is that style wise the fs is about the only boat that looks sort of modern and would probably sell here in Australia. There’s no way I’d be able to sell a Garvey or anything that looks like its out of 1960. Only thing is I’ve noticed that all American models seem not to have much deadrise at the transom and a sharper bow for rougher weather. I build a 12 ft boat that had a 17 deg deadrise , reverse chine, had to have ballast tanks, it could go offshore and was still stable enough to walk all the way around the gunwhale with hardly any roll! Now, can I adjust the bulkheads on the fs a little to give me more deadrise and handle a decent chop? Later I’ll be looking at plans to build my own boat for flyfishing, but I need a good casting platform, but it also needs to take a good pounding as the Great Lake here in Tasmania can blow up really quick. I’d be running a bow mounted motor as well. I like the look of the phantom 16, but wish there was that modern look in a 14 ft boat with a tad more depth and sharper entry with a little more deadrise at the transom. Sorry, so many questions, but I figure I’m in the right place and hopefully I can get some advice on what model plans to purchase in 10-12 ft as sellers and a design for my needs in the 14- 16 ft range.

Thanks, TD :wink:
Last edited by Tassie Devil on Tue May 01, 2018 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Fs12

Post by Capt UB » Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:50 pm

Welcome

Why not the FS14?

Checkout the Builder Galleries and the Build Threads.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Newt
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Newt » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:29 pm

Tassie Devil wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:34 am
Hi, I’m interested in the fs12, I’ve been building s&g boats for quite some time now so I’m not a newbie to it. I came here because I was sick of my designers attitude, but his boats are so modern looking and seaworthy plus I got a builders plate and hin number once completed. I only have room at the moment to build a 12 ft boat, we’ll actually I normally build 2 at once to make things quicker as I do this for a job. I just roll them in and out as needed. My question is, is that style wise the fs is about the only boat that looks sort of modern and would probably sell here in Australia. There’s no way I’d be able to sell a Garvey or anything that looks like its out of 1960. Only thing is I’ve noticed that all American models seem not to have much deadrise at the transom and a sharper bow for rougher weather. I build a 12 ft boat that had a 17 deg deadrise , reverse chine, had to have ballast tanks, it could go offshore and was still stable enough to walk all the way around the gunwhale with hardly any roll! Now, can I adjust the bulkheads on the fs a little to give me more deadrise and handle a decent chop? Later I’ll be looking at plans to build my own boat for flyfishing, but I need a good casting platform, but it also needs to take a good pounding as the Great Lake here in Tasmania can blow up really quick. I’d be running a bow mounted motor as well. I like the look of the phantom 16, but wish there was that modern look in a 14 ft boat with a tad more depth and sharper entry with a little more deadrise at the transom. Sorry, so many questions, but I figure I’m in the right place and hopefully I can get some advice on what model plans to purchase in 10-12 ft as sellers and a design for my needs in the 14- 16 ft range.

ALLIGATOR LAKE

Tassie Devil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tassie Devil » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:41 am

For my own personal boat I’m liking the look of the ob15, reakon it would be great with a side console. I did look at the fs14, but don’t think it would suit pretty choppy water like the ob. As for the 12 ft boats it looks like the fs12 is my only option. I just want to know if I can modify the v/ deadrise withe bulkheads by a degree or 3. Wonder if it can be reduced by 10% as well. Also I’m not sure how I would register a boat here in Australia buying plans from America?

Tassie Devil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tassie Devil » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:03 am

This is a 10 ft boat im in the process of now, something similar would be great
Attachments
P4230233.JPG
P4240240.JPG
P4240241.JPG

Tassie Devil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Fs12 “ Deadrise “

Post by Tassie Devil » Sat May 05, 2018 8:16 am

Is there anyone who can answer my origonal question? a naval archutech or designer. I Havent heard much except how abot thinking about purchusing this design etc. Well same boat just bigger, I want certain things in a design! which i know is acheivable. Please there has to be an answer to these 12 ft boats. And walking over stringers? whats that about? id put a sole down for sure. Im thinking at least 12 degrease deadride at the transome with a good sharp v at the bow and good reverse chines. There has to be something on the drawing board that isnt out of 1958! :lol:

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Sat May 05, 2018 9:41 am

Hire a designer....

Tell him what you want....

This guy is great and right there on his designs.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

topwater
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by topwater » Mon May 07, 2018 6:49 am

In the pic you are standing in front of a 10 footer just add 2 feet in length . A lot of builders do that here all the
time but what do we know all we do is work on boats from the 50's .
Novi 23 finally launched !

Tassie Devil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Tassie Devil » Mon May 07, 2018 7:33 am

Whoa. i wasnt having a dig at anyone, just after some info on some alterations.

OrangeQuest

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon May 07, 2018 7:44 am

Tassie Devil wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:34 am
Hi, I’m interested in the fs12, I’ve been building s&g boats for quite some time now so I’m not a newbie to it. I came here because I was sick of my designers attitude, but his boats are so modern looking and seaworthy plus I got a builders plate and hin number once completed.
I am sure designers, like most people, will get an attitude when you start telling them their design looks like it is old and that it needs to be closer to your own design.