CR13 Question for Jacques

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

CR13 Question for Jacques

Post by Jeff » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:12 am

The following questions were emailed to us over the holiday: "1)Still reviewing my CR13 plans and have some questions about possible modification etc.
I am not clear on how the dagger board box attaches to the hull? do I cut the bottom just enough to allow the dagger to get thru? should the "box' bottom be screwed thru the hull for better attachment and strength? how have others done it? thanks
2) has anyone done a centerboard instead of a dagger for this boat?
3)My "storage and launch area has max clearance of 60 " to get it thru ! can I scale down beam to just under 60" without affecting boat? I would like to increase length a bit also to 14 ft. is that also possible?
4) I would prefer seats across back and on sides of hull ,instead of across, as shown in plans)
is that a possible alternate option?
I will (I am sure) have other questions as I go over plans ,but that's it for now thanks for your inputs ! Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: CR13 Question for Jacques

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:58 am

I am not clear on how the dagger board box attaches to the hull? do I cut the bottom just enough to allow the dagger to get thru? should the "box' bottom be screwed thru the hull for better attachment and strength? how have others done it? thanks
I am certain that the plans explain that, I will check the notes when I get home but it is very simple.
- build the daggerboard trunk as a box, separate from the boat. Many like to built it a little longer.
- put it where it belongs inside of the hull and mark corners with a pencil.
- remove box and drill 4 corners.
- flip hull and cut opening from outside
- from inside, put box back in with extra length sticking out
- build inside seams
- cut the excess outside and build outside seams
- done
It is easier to do than to explain.

2) has anyone done a centerboard instead of a dagger for this boat?
Too complicated. That daggerboard trunk is very strong, it pushes against a floor frame. You can reinforce it by making the sides thicker and use more glass. The daggerboard will break before the trunk gives. I think the plans show a crash box exactly for that reason. Look again please.

3)My "storage and launch area has max clearance of 60 " to get it thru ! can I scale down beam to just under 60" without affecting boat? I would like to increase length a bit also to 14 ft. is that also possible?
Complicated again. All that scaling is difficult. The beam includes a 1.5" rubrail each side. Omit it and you are at 60". Or better, consider a different storage area.

4) I would prefer seats across back and on sides of hull ,instead of across, as shown in plans)
is that a possible alternate option?
The seats are just as you ask except none in the stern.
The boat would not perform with somebody sitting in the stern.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

sal
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sal » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:00 am

is there a wt. max for a wooden mast for the CR13 , also, max for dagger board, and rudder/ tiller ? I plan to use 2.5 HP motor(about 40 lbs.) and have weight and strength concerns ( I assume the transom as designed will handle this motor!) thanks Sal

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Jan 03, 2019 10:38 am

The transom will take that 2.5 HP (on the water). There is no calculated weight max. for a wooden mast but keep it as light as possible. A hollow wooden mast will be just as light as an Al profile, a solid fir mast is the max. I would use.
I don't see how a wooden rudder and daggerboard would be too heavy.

Try to find an old boat of about the same size, it should be common in your area. Take the spars and maybe the sails from it. Also the hardware like rudder pintles and gudgeon. That will save you hundreds and make the building much faster. Rigs in that size are common.

sal
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 am

I have located a wooden mast that I believe will work for the CR13 - it weighs about 14 lbs. ,but to me seems a bit flimsy, I can pass it up or could I tape wrap it and glass it for greater strength? How much wt. could that add?, it is just over 19 ft., also I probably could "shave it down a bit " to reduce some weight!
thanks Sal

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 am

What are the dimensions of that mast? diameter?

sal
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sal » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:35 pm

mast is 2 3/4 X1 3/4 inch diam. thanks Sal

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:29 pm

sal wrote:
Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:35 pm
mast is 2 3/4 X1 3/4 inch diam. thanks Sal
That is too small, sorry.

sal
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sal » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 am

Jacques: thanks for the reply, but, but, I am glad I didn't turn away the wooden mast - I just looked carefully at CR13 plan and saw where for a wooden mast it called for a mast starting at 2.5 " tapering to 1.5 " and calls for epoxy laminated . the one I am considering ,as I stated earlier -the base is 2 3/4 " tapering to 1 3/4 at the top, wt. is about 16 lbs.
So according to those specs ,I can use it - it is not clear from the "plans description" what epoxy laminated means- is the suggested mast epoxy wrapped in "glass cloth tape? if yes what wt. and is it overlapped ? more than one layer? thanks Sal

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:20 am

It should be spruce or fir and epoxy laminated means made from several layers of wood glued with epoxy.
Built that way, the diameter is sufficient, a laminated spar will be stronger than a solid one.
In your case, you could fiberglass it with epoxy. If possible unidirectional lengthwise about 9 oz. but that is difficult to find. You could replace that with 2 layers of woven 9 oz. but that gets heavy.