Does this look right??? Fs14ls

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Does this look right??? Fs14ls

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:26 pm

The Usenet! I remember that.
That and mci mail, plus, I ran a BBS, no internet at the time. I had 30 members including the founder of Wooden Boat.
I stayed on the Usenet even after Mosaic appeared.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

newbie2
New Poster
New Poster

Post by newbie2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:00 am

Hi All,
Sorry to hijack an older thread, but I'm stuck at a similar point myself. I'm attempting to build a FS14 LS from the metric plans.
I've cut out my frames and have joined the 6mm ply sheets to do the bottom sides and stringers.
I used the dimensions given on drawing A 319/2 to locate the starting point for at the bow for drawing the bottom.
I've moved to drawing A319/4 but I'm stumped on the spacing between the verticals to draw the bottom and sides, for the bottom panels if the 364mm for the first spacing is taken, and continued across to find the other verticals then the panels won't fit on the ply. Is the 305 TYP given on the other end the spacing to use or am I missing something?
I've got the same problem with the side panel
Apologies if this has been asked elsewhere or if the answer is starting me in the face, I've looked through the other threads and was unable to find the answer.
Thanks in advance.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Bumping this so JM sees it.

newbie2
New Poster
New Poster

Post by newbie2 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:21 pm

All good it was staring me in the face, it’s the TYP value.
Thanks

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:42 am

I think it is explained in the building notes, on the first page: a dimension marked TYP (for Typical) is a dimension that is repeated.
Think of "every 305 mm". It is a standard drafting practice.

newbie2
New Poster
New Poster

Post by newbie2 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:07 am

Thanks for the replies, I missed the connection when I read the build notes, but I got there in the end!

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:49 pm

I don't always respect drafting conventions, some are too hermetic but I really need the TYP abbreviation. :)

GuyP
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by GuyP » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:17 am

He’s a nice guy when he answers dumb questions too. I have first hand knowledge on that one. 🥴

VT_Jeff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by VT_Jeff » Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:46 am

jacquesmm wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:17 am
I see it. In this case, for this plan, the dimensions are additive. This means that you measure the first dimension from the baseline and the second dimension from the end of the first: you add them up.
Let's take for example the second line from the tip of the bow for the bottom panel.
It shows two dimensions: 1-1/2 and 9-1/2.
You must mark the first point at 1-1/2" from the baseline and then mark the 2nd point at 9-1/2 from the first one.
In other words, the second point is at 1-1/2 + 9-1/2 = 11' from the baseline.
All dimensions are shown that way, it is consistent.

The drawings do not say "from the BL" but the notes say so.
I wrote the notes and my drafter (which was my son James) finished the drawings.
He is a civil engineering student and certified in Autocad. What he did is correct but does not match my other drawings or the text in the notes.
I am sorry for the conflict between the notes and the drawings. I will change the dimensions type on that drawing.
I am glad you caught it: fortunately, it is clearly wrong, that line is not fair.

For future FS14LS builders: I am changing the dimensions right now, they will all be taken from the BL (BaseLine).

I almost had a heart attack when I read "In this case, for this plan, the dimensions are additive. ". I ran to the basement and dry-fit all the panels I cut LAST NIGHT thinking I had done them all wrong. They appeared to fit nearly perfectly. Came back up and read the rest of Jacques post and true to his word, my plans are definitely from the baseline. Phew! Thanks Jacques!
There are only two seasons in Vermont: boating season, and boat-bulding season.