WE12 outboard question

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
BayBoat
New Poster
New Poster

WE12 outboard question

Post by BayBoat » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:27 am

Hi All,

I just purchased digital plans for WE12 and have a question regarding the outboard motor size.

I was tossing up between the FL12 & WE12, the vertical bow on the WE really appealed so I went with that.

I have previously built a Tango Skiff 17 and intend on building the WE12 following Bateau’s Stitch and glue 101 tutorial and all that it details along with enclosed seats, buoyancy and a strengthened transom, not the quick “weekend” method. So the boat will (should :D ) be as robust as any stitch and glue boat.

The FL12 is rated to use a maximum of 5hp and it seems both these boats share a great deal in common as far as dimensions, weight etc... with the WE12 being slightly longer and wider. Given the circumstances will it be possible to put a 5hp on my WE12?
Thank you😀

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: WE12 outboard question

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:24 pm

Sorry for the late reply, I missed this question.

Rating per USCG calculations does not make much sense for those small boats but there are a couple of points to consider: the HP needed to reach max. speed, the weight of the outboard and the stress on the transom.

The building notes explain options including those required for an outboard larger than 1 HP. See page 9 of the notes.

Power needed for max. hull speed: the WE12 will reach it's max. speed with about 1 HP. Anything above that is wasted. 1 HP can come from an electric motor or a small outboard.
Small outboards like the Suzuki 2.5 at 27 lbs will work well. The smallest Torqueedo is also a good choice.

The weight of an outboard can be a problem. An heavy outboard will result in a bad trim.

Transom strength: the plans show options including a clamping board, a seat across the transom and transom knees. All those are required for an outboard. If you travel with the boat ob a trailer, please remove the outboard from the transom while towing. The transom suffers more on the trailer than on the water.

In a nutshell, I find a 5 HP excessive for this boat. You will not go faster and it creates some problems.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

BayBoat
New Poster
New Poster

Re: WE12 outboard question

Post by BayBoat » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:29 am

Thank you Jacques, I (now) understand and very much appreciate your thoroughly detailed and logical explanation!!
Thank you!
Laurence