FS14_LS

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Marshall Moser
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: FS14_LS

Post by Marshall Moser » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:25 pm

Unless the boat will live in the water, you do not have to use antifouling paint. Topside paint will work below the waterline. A lot of builders here use a graphite/epoxy mix on the bottom for abrasion resistance.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Wed Sep 04, 2019 3:49 pm

For Primer I recommend using the System Three Yacht Primer. It is really easy to roll on. Three coats would be ideal.
Just as Marshall Moser said, you do not need bottom or anit-fouling paint unless your boat will stay in the water. Simply use a Polyurethane Marine Topcoat. Polyurethane Topcoats come in 2 part or 1 part systems. The 2 part systems (such as EMC and Awlgrip) are more durable but more expensive. The single part systems (Interlux Brightside and Pettit EasyPoxy) are great paint and a lot easier on the wallet.
With the 2 part paints you will need to purchase the Base, Converter/Activator, and the Reducer/Thinner. For the single part paints you will need the Base and the Reducer/Thinner. Keep in mind that there are different Activators and Reducers for Brushing and Spraying.

Hope this helps. If you need to discuss further please feel free to give me a call at the shop, 772-742-8535

-Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Thrandweel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Thrandweel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:24 am

Extremely helpful thank you!

Capt UB
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Capt UB » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:26 am

I have been using (100%) Carnauba wax on the sides of the hull of SandPiper (FS14). Keeps from staining and growth from attaching... My bottom is the BBC graphite and polished very smooth, waxed twice since splashing her.
><((((º>¸.•´¯`•><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º> ¸.•´¯`•.><((((º>

Thrandweel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Thrandweel » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:32 am

@Reid, Do you think 1/2 gallon is enough topcoat to do 3 layers? Im thinking a gallon of primer because i will most likely need extra for seeing the initial imperfections on the fairing material. Let me know if im on the right track.

Reid
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Reid » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:20 am

Thrandweel wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:32 am
@Reid, Do you think 1/2 gallon is enough topcoat to do 3 layers? Im thinking a gallon of primer because i will most likely need extra for seeing the initial imperfections on the fairing material. Let me know if im on the right track.
A gallon of the primer sounds good.
The topcoat paints vary a little in coverage. Pettit EZ Poxy is approx. 600 square feet per gallon. Interlux Brightside is approx. 550 square feet per gallon. Awlgrip and EMC pant are approx. 250 square feet per gallon. Simply take some quick measurements of the area you want to paint and purchase accordingly. I would make sure to have a little extra. Also, some colors only come in quarts and not gallons.

Reid
Someone asked me, if I were stranded on a desert island what book would I bring... "How to Build a Boat."
- Steven Wright

Thrandweel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Thrandweel » Fri Sep 06, 2019 10:36 pm

Glassed half the boat with the big roll of cloth today. Ran out of daylight and couldnt finish the other half.
Attachments
20190906_195346.jpg

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:36 am

Looks good! :D

Thrandweel
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Thrandweel » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:58 pm

Basic question for you guys. I was hunting around for the answer in the forums but couldnt find it....

So I mix the fairing compund/dust with epoxy right? Just like the thickened epoxy? I just keep adding till it's the correct consistency?
Thanks again
Tyler

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Sat Sep 07, 2019 2:56 pm

What are you using for fairing compound? The basic answer to your question is yes. Make the mix to what ever thickness you need. Most folks make the first pass pretty thin/runny so it fills the weave a little easier. Also most guys put it on way too thick. As Cracker Larry would say "we ain't frosting a cake here"