Jon Boat Questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Jon Boat Questions

Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26 am

The following question arrived via email last evening: "I am looking for plans for a wooden jon boat for use on small streams and still water, I like the 10 and 12 foot plans you offer and am wondering if these boats could be scaled to a narrower beam (4'' or so) without compromising safety or function?" Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Jon Boat Questions

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:09 am

To scale only one dimension is very difficult. Please see this:
http://bateau2.com/howto/scaling.php
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:47 am

Jeff wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 7:26 am
. . . if these boats could be scaled to a narrower beam (4'' or so) without compromising safety or function?
It would certainly affect stability.
The GF12/14 and 16 are designed based on the width of a plywood sheet. The bottom panel uses the full width of a plywood sheet but not more. This makes them economical and easy to build.
If you cut a slice of that bottom to narrow the beam, you complicate the building and lose some stability and capacity.
Is there a problem with storage or transport?
Please let us know and tell us which boat you are looking at.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:20 pm

Response from originator of email: "I appreciate the prompt responses. What I am looking for is a small flat bottomed boat, transportable by car-top or pickup bed, relatively light, stable on small streams and other still water. The narrower width idea was aimed at reducing weight, making it more nimble in close quarters, powerable by a small outboard, etc. I suppose I was looking for more of a pirogue/bateau/skiff rather than a traditional Jon boat. Length 12’ or so would be ideal. Basically something with the advantages of my 16’ canoe but more stable, more comfortable, a better fishing platform, etc." Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:20 pm

D12 built with 4 mm ply. That will be a very light boat and matches the style you describe.

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:25 pm

Plyak 12 is another good choice for a non motorized craft.

BB Sig
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by BB Sig » Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:14 pm

What about an FS13?

Arm&Hammer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Arm&Hammer » Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Anytime you modify the plan, you are making some change, or possibly a 'compromise' to the designed safety or function...

That being said, I built the GF12. I lowered the sheer, which wasn't difficult. I also made it narrower so that it would fit between my wheel wells in my truck bed. Completely respecting Jacques comment about difficulties scaling in one dimension, I would say that the GF's are the rare exception: because of the flat bow and stern, all I had to do was reduce the width of each cross member by the same amount. Even at the reduced width, I found the boat super stable, especially when considering length to width. It is rock solid for a 12' boat IMO.

It wasn't easy due to using Meranti, but I used to load/unload that boat w/o motor attached in the bed of my F150. If I were to build it again, I would probably make it a little narrower still, and build with Okoume.