How small a motor can I put on a FS13?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Ben Coombs
New Poster
New Poster

How small a motor can I put on a FS13?

Post by Ben Coombs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:11 pm

Sorry bit of a joke... saw another post about how big a motor it will take. I’m going the other way.

I plan to build the FS13 to be used only as a SUP. I have a few things I’d like to change the transom so that it is flush with the deck. So I can swim off the board and get back on from deep water. I’d also like to angle the transom towards the bow (the sheer would be cut to match) to make paddling a little faster. I would hope that also aids in ease of re-entry from the water. Also likely to add small twin fins near the stern as well.

My question is about the interior angle of the new transom... ease of filleting? Would seem that the frame would have to be in place sooner than it does in the build threads I’ve followed. Is that a problem?

I built a GV10 that is tender to our sailboat, made some seat mods to that one. Attached a few action shots of the gv10 (I think it worked). Probably can’t get back on the FS from the side.

Looking for the problems I’ve missed in planning. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ben
Attachments
4E1D1467-15E9-4E5F-BD71-6DC23F912A41.jpeg
C3BCB99A-2A5E-4C31-9CB0-499E082DD496.jpeg
46414A4B-F2AD-4478-8D2F-D56A31D58A9A.jpeg

Ben Coombs
New Poster
New Poster

Re: How small a motor can I put on a FS13?

Post by Ben Coombs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:30 pm

Noticed some weird sentences in there... can’t figure out how to edit the post.

You get the idea though.... hopefully.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Dec 09, 2019 11:54 am

All what you ask for can be done and you guessed right, it will be difficult to build and clean seam along the edges of the reversed transom.
Difficult but not impossible especially if you do one side at a time with the boat rolled on it's side.
We did build some SUP prototypes with a reversed transom and it works. We abandoned the SUP project because there was too much labor involved but the FS13 came out of that design. We raised the sides of the SUP. made it a little bit wider and added a transom. You are simply going back to the original SUP design.
Post pictures please.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

Ben Coombs
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Ben Coombs » Thu May 07, 2020 12:54 pm

I attached some pictures... but so far I haven’t modified anything. Except I propped up the stern slightly to add a little rocker for paddling ease.

I’m at the point where I will have to make my mods now. Although the stern isn’t my question right now... I have a plan for that involving an interior chine log. I’ll post pics of that.

Right now my question is about the foam, or lack of it. I plan to use the bow compartment for storage. I also plan to use the central cavity just aft of the bow as storage. I’ll use a marine inspection hatch for that. Any thoughts on this from the hive? I will add stringers to the hull for stiffness. What about the deck? Another doubler? Or would some cleat stock run athwart ship?

Remember there’ll be no motor. To be used for fishing, yoga, adventuring/camping, and as a swim dock for our sailboat.

Anyone else building a coronaboat?
Attachments
082503E4-43AC-4C36-9AFF-A2F9C9BD9635.jpeg
06D99A50-1355-4F8D-B596-99D69B717870.jpeg
94A327A6-F6AB-4C03-8AFA-9E00C94A1C92.jpeg