PK78 Questions

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

PK78 Questions

Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:28 am

This email arrived last evening: "I just built a PK78 and was wondering if a skeg is required if I am always using an outboard. I am planning on using a Honda 2.3 hp outboard motor that doesn't have a reverse and allows one to simply turn the motor 180 degrees to get a reverse. My issue is with this approach the 3" skeg is in the way for the short shaft version. Is the skeg necessary if I am always using an outboard on my PK78? thank you" Jeff

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: PK78 Questions

Post by jacquesmm » Tue Apr 21, 2020 12:32 pm

Here is what I wrote some years ago about skegs, strakes etc.

A PK78 with a 2.4 HP will track somewhat better under power with a skeg but for rowing in any kind of breeze, it is a must.

Many years ago, I had a PK78 with a little Honda2.3, the kind you describe and there was no problem. The skeg goes on the hull after it is assembled and glassed: check at that time.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by LarryA » Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:29 pm

That skeg will also help protect you should you inadvertently spin the motor without having gone to idle first. It can save you from a swim.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:21 pm

Couple of thoughts. What does your transom look like? Often the sailing versions of these dinghies will have a lower cut transom for tiller clearance. Maybe add the cutout (I assume it will be shown on your plans, it was on my D5 plans) from the sail version if you don't already have it, to get the prop lower in the water.

Also, it looks like the PK78 has a lot of rake in its transom... Maybe you could add some wedge shaped blocks to put the shaft more vertical in the water, and the prop farther away from the skeg? I have seen that done on other boats here with similarly raked transoms.

Construction picture of my D5 showing how the transom was cut down: