V12 - Bottom fabric

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
davidyoungblood
New Poster
New Poster

V12 - Bottom fabric

Post by davidyoungblood » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:53 pm

I plan to cover the bottom of my V12 with fabric/epoxy.

The question before me is which material: fiberglass or kevlar?

Please provide your opinion/approach with either. Pro/con.

Not terribly concerned about material cost at this point.

Thanks!

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: V12 - Bottom fabric

Post by Jaysen » Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:02 pm

Glass.

Easier to get right. Easier to repair.

If you’re thinking about doing it you plan to be rough. Make it as easy to fix as possible.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

LarryA
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by LarryA » Fri May 01, 2020 8:59 am

I have to ask this question, have you ever used kevlar before? I don't mean that critically, just curious.

My advice as a former V12 owner, put glass on the bottom and use it for a season or so. The boat is pretty light and will bounce off things better than you think. If after a season or so, you find you need additional abrasion resistance, sand the paint off and add a layer of kevlar and a thin layer of glass on top (3 oz sheathing). The V12 is a really small boat, you are talking a couple hours to sand off the paint, clean it with acetone and off you go.

In the meantime, get yourself a cheap crappy piece of plywood from HD and some kevlar and play with it. One important kevlar trick, the edges/fringes tend to curl up, and being kevlar, they are a miserable nightmare to get back flush. As the resin is curing, use some wide plastic packing tape to span the edge of the kevlar/wood boundary to keep those edges down.....

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Fri May 01, 2020 9:19 am

My v12 bounces off stuff like rubber ball. I added 12oz glass on the bottom (half way up the side panel, complete coverage on the bow). None on the rub rail. I've only managed to get through the glass where I rammed her fully loaded (350lb on board) and sailing in hi winds into an oyster rake (i might have been 3kn but was not tracking... too busy trying to stay out of the water). That resulted in a "gash" about 18" long with about 2" (maybe less) getting into the wood. Neighbor ran into the same rake shortly after me with an aluminum jon boat at about 4kn. Leaky boat for him. I don't feel too bad about that little gash.

That 12oz is tough stuff. If you are thinking you need kevlar, just add more glass. The weight "penalty" won't be significant and the repair simplicity will make up for the marginal reduction in protection. Even with kevlar, if you are going to be using the boat in a way that is likely to create abrasions, you will be making repairs. It's really nice when those repairs can be done quick and easy.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Sat May 02, 2020 6:18 am

Not a V12, but 200gsm (6oz) and 400g tape (12oz) on the bottom of my D5 and I rub it on rocks at a slow speed. Only cosmetic scratches.

Kevlar is stronger against abrasion, but you really don't want to abrade it. I hear it's much harder to use. Glass is more than enough. I'd consider kevlar on an ocean going sailboat on the inside laminate where resistance to impact matters.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat May 02, 2020 12:23 pm

Don't waste $ and labor with Kevlar. It's overkill and almost impossible to do a clean job without vacuum bagging.
A light woven fiberglass is fine or much easier, a coat of epoxy mixed with graphite powder. I have that on my FL12 since 12 years, no scratches.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Sat May 02, 2020 12:32 pm

Kevlar has a lot of problems. It likes to float off the substrate, leaving a resin layer and keeping it exposed to abrasion which then results in hairlike and impossible stuff to repair.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

davidyoungblood
New Poster
New Poster

Post by davidyoungblood » Thu May 07, 2020 3:58 pm

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice. Will be using fiberglass.