GV 11 materials question

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: GV 11 materials question

Post by Netpackrat » Thu May 14, 2020 7:35 am

Was just saying if somebody really wanted to do it that way. :lol:

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb » Tue May 19, 2020 11:02 pm

Had a quick epoxy question. I just did the butt blocks on the bottom panels this afternoon.

I have very little experience working with epoxy and just started reading a little bit more about working with it (which I should have done BEFORE starting). I now understanding that it is vitally important to get the ratios correct.

I didn't fully appreciate that when I did the butt blocks. I used a cup with measuring lines on it but wasn't that careful, so I may have had the ratios a little off. I guess I'll find out if these things never harden. How long should it take for the epoxy/wood flour to fully harden?

I did it about three hours ago and the unthickened epoxy I pained on is pretty much hard but the glue is still pretty tacky. I mixed these batches separately, and it seems like a bad sign that they're curing at different rates. Although I'm not sure if unthickened cure times and thickened cure times are apples to apples. It's in the low 60's here and I'm using medium hardener.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed May 20, 2020 12:12 am

What brand of epoxy are you using? If 2-1 it is pretty forgiving. You need to get your mix right but small errors are normally ok. I would leave it until the morning and check it then. I have not noticed a lot of difference in set times with filler or not.

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Wed May 20, 2020 7:31 am

I use a 5:1 and the mustard pumps. I always weigh the first batch of the day. By weight I put the cup on, tare then add hardener, mulitply by 6.4 (weights are a bit different) and then add resin. For a 2:1 you should be ok if within 10% or so. But be careful. Best if you don't have unreacted molecules in the mix.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed May 20, 2020 9:29 am

Adding fillers makes the epoxy kick a bit faster than neat epoxy, as the fillers hold the heat in. If it is firm but sticky, it will probably be fine by tomorrow. You do need to measure reasonably carefully, but as many people run into trouble for not mixing thoroughly as for not getting the proportions right. Speaking of proportions, when you get to the end of the jug of hardener and you've got a pint of resin left, what do you do with it? :doh: :lol:
Hank

jnb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by jnb » Wed May 20, 2020 12:39 pm

Crisis averted--totally hardened up this morning. However, the different batches definitely went at different speeds, so I'm guessing the mix was off but not catastrophically far off.

I am using marinepoxy 2:1. Now I know to be more careful. :doh:

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed May 20, 2020 12:41 pm

jnb, MarinEpoxy is quite forgiving but try to stay as close to the 2 to 1 ratio as possible!! Glad it worked out for you!! Jeff

tcason
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by tcason » Fri May 22, 2020 9:44 am

When laying glass I like my epoxy to be about 80 degrees before mixing - it is much more fluid and easier to work with than at 60 degrees - in my opinion........

OneWayTraffic
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by OneWayTraffic » Tue May 26, 2020 4:38 am

Don't forget to stir right in the side of the cup, and scrape the stick against the side. Mix well, but not too fast; I often whip air in.

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:37 pm

And take your stir stick and cut a sharp edge to it. You don't want a rounded corner in the corner of a mixing cup. Use the good scissors; your wife won't mind.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24