FS14 Question for Jacques

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

FS14 Question for Jacques

Post by Jeff » Tue May 12, 2020 7:46 am

This question arrived via email last evening: "Sounds good. If I might just get your opinion on something. I want to include a sprit rig on this build to sail approx 25-30% of the time, but mostly run on plane up in the delta above Mobile bay. So should I include a daggerboard and box, or simply a larger than normal keel for the part when actually sailing?Thanks" Jeff

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: FS14 Question for Jacques

Post by Jaysen » Tue May 12, 2020 8:18 am

Jeff wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 7:46 am
This question arrived via email last evening: "Sounds good. If I might just get your opinion on something. I want to include a sprit rig on this build to sail approx 25-30% of the time, but mostly run on plane up in the delta above Mobile bay. So should I include a daggerboard and box, or simply a larger than normal keel for the part when actually sailing?Thanks" Jeff
I think a useful keel would create too big of a skeg for planing. Also, the use of a dagger allows JM to ensure that the COF is aligned. Basically... if you want to sail "wellish" use the dagger.

That said, that dagger slot will become a fountain (if it behaves like mine) once you run the motor up. Put a cap on it when not sailing. Alternatively, JM might recommend leeboards. That would be a solution to all the problems if he says it will work...
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: FS14 Question for Jacques

Post by jacquesmm » Tue May 12, 2020 9:34 am

The FS14 is a power boat and will not sail well. You could have a rig for emergencies but any appendages like keel, dagger board or skeg will seriously handicap the performance under power.
I hate leeboards: I learned to sail on boats with leeboards (in Holland) and only dreamers who never used them will like leeboards: nothing but troubles.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com