More silly Plyak questions (eek)

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
elauer
New Poster
New Poster

More silly Plyak questions (eek)

Post by elauer » Tue May 19, 2020 3:36 pm

Hi everyone,

I posted earlier with some questions about the plans for the Plyak-12 and now that I have everything cut out, I have more questions! (These questions are probably pretty obvious to many, but bear with me :) )

1) Obviously, cutting ~12' long panels from 8' sheets creates the need to join an 8-foot section of a panel with a 4-foot section along a straight edge. Instructions for this did not seem to be included in the plans (probably because most people know what they're doing, lol). Do I need to make a scarf joint in order to join panels together before stitching? (If so, should I cut every scarf joint and join every panel before drilling for stitching? Also, what binding agent would I use for these scarf joints?)

2) Could somebody familiar with the Plyak explain the purpose of a sheer clamp (or inwale, as are used interchangeably in the plans)? It seems like it is intended to add some stability to the edges. Also, these clamps appear to be curved, as they do follow the path of the deck; do I cut the curves into these pieces and attach them to the side panels after stitching them, or do I cut them straight, attach them to the panel, and then bend the whole panel?
In that same vein, do I attach "cleats" on both the bow and stern side of the frames/moulds before I stitch?

(if you're still reading at this point, I thank you. this forum has been very helpful throughout this process)

3) I'm wondering about drilling holes for stitching. Do I drill along each edge that will end up being stitched (ie: every edge of every panel)? Also, do I need to drill holes in the frames/molds, or are those held in by the panels/sheer clamps themselves?

Sorry for the mess of questions. Any help regarding any of these questions is appreciated. Again, if you need an image of any part of the plan in order to help me with these questions, I'll happily comply.

Thanks again.

elauer
New Poster
New Poster

Re: More silly Plyak questions (eek)

Post by elauer » Tue May 19, 2020 5:31 pm

Another follow up for those familiar with the Plyak plans—on the materials list, it suggests the need for 1.5 gallons of epoxy resin. Does this include the volume of the resin in addition to the curing agent, or just the resin itself? Also, does anyone have any recommendations for choosing a type of resin to use? I'm looking at this product ( https://www.bottompaintstore.com/fiberg ... Gallon-Kit ) and could use some guidance.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue May 19, 2020 5:36 pm

There are different ways to join panels, I don't know which is recommended for this situation......

As for epoxy.. why don't you just buy the epoxy here from the same company you bought the plans from? It is cheaper and you know it has the properties needed for a good project.
http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... rod=ME_Kit

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue May 19, 2020 6:36 pm

What Narfi said; get something that is a known quantity like West, System 3, or the Marinepoxy that BBC sells. I tried an off brand that was available locally (not the brand you linked) partway through my build and it caused me to have to redo a bunch of work. I lost about a week and a half and added at least a couple hundred dollars to the cost of my project because I didn't stick with what I was already using.

elauer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by elauer » Tue May 19, 2020 6:44 pm

narfi wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 5:36 pm
There are different ways to join panels, I don't know which is recommended for this situation......

As for epoxy.. why don't you just buy the epoxy here from the same company you bought the plans from? It is cheaper and you know it has the properties needed for a good project.
http://boatbuildercentral.com/proddetai ... rod=ME_Kit
Thank you for the good suggestion. I'll purchase from BBC website.

As for the panel joining, could you offer some insight into other ways of joining the panels? For reference, these panels are 12 feet long and range between 13 and 17" in width. A scarf joint seems doable, but I don't know any other options.

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 pm

With the boat plans from BBC, in general when panels need to be joined, the plans will specify a butt block. As for the other questions, the best suggestion I can make is to search for build threads or see if BBC has any gallery pictures of the boat you are building (or at least similar boats) to see what other builders have done.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Tue May 19, 2020 6:55 pm

I have six different sets of plans and none of them call for scarf joints. I do not think any of the plans here call for them. The plans should say either glass tape or butt blocks to make the joints. If you tape you can cut a slight rebate for the outside tape to make it smoother but it is not really needed.
I do not have your plans but the shear clamp is to make the top edge stiff and fair. Put it on after getting the hull put together.
You will need to drill holes for stitching where the hull panels come together. How many depends on how hard it is to bend into shape. No stitching to the frames.
For epoxy I would use either the marine epoxy from here or systems three. I have used a number of different brands but I like those two best. No matter the brand it must be boat building epoxy. And go ahead and get a 3 gallon kit as you will need it, trust me.
Lots of good sources of marine goods where you are but I would think about calling Jeff and letting him put together a complete building package for you. They ship fast and the shipping cost is very fair in my book.

elauer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by elauer » Tue May 19, 2020 6:57 pm

Netpackrat wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:49 pm
With the boat plans from BBC, in general when panels need to be joined, the plans will specify a butt block. As for the other questions, the best suggestion I can make is to search for build threads or see if BBC has any gallery pictures of the boat you are building (or at least similar boats) to see what other builders have done.
Thanks for the response. A butt block could very well be the way to go, though I still can't seem to find anything in the plans indicating this. I've reached out to a user with experience with these plans to see if they can offer some insight.

Also, very good suggestion. I will look for pictures of this boat to answer some of these questions.

Thanks again

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue May 19, 2020 7:02 pm

elauer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:57 pm
Thanks for the response. A butt block could very well be the way to go, though I still can't seem to find anything in the plans indicating this. I've reached out to a user with experience with these plans to see if they can offer some insight.
Yeah but it may have been bad information for this particular design. Looks like these builders used fiberglass splices:

viewtopic.php?t=30717

viewtopic.php?t=37835

elauer
New Poster
New Poster

Post by elauer » Tue May 19, 2020 7:09 pm

Netpackrat wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 7:02 pm
elauer wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:57 pm
Yeah but it may have been bad information for this particular design. Looks like these builders used fiberglass splices:

viewtopic.php?t=30717

viewtopic.php?t=37835
Thank you so much for doing the legwork for me. I will plan to move ahead with this method.