More silly Plyak questions (eek)

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
elauer
New Poster
New Poster

Re: More silly Plyak questions (eek)

Post by elauer » Tue May 19, 2020 7:13 pm

Fuzz wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 6:55 pm
I have six different sets of plans and none of them call for scarf joints. I do not think any of the plans here call for them. The plans should say either glass tape or butt blocks to make the joints. If you tape you can cut a slight rebate for the outside tape to make it smoother but it is not really needed.
I do not have your plans but the shear clamp is to make the top edge stiff and fair. Put it on after getting the hull put together.
You will need to drill holes for stitching where the hull panels come together. How many depends on how hard it is to bend into shape. No stitching to the frames.
For epoxy I would use either the marine epoxy from here or systems three. I have used a number of different brands but I like those two best. No matter the brand it must be boat building epoxy. And go ahead and get a 3 gallon kit as you will need it, trust me.
Lots of good sources of marine goods where you are but I would think about calling Jeff and letting him put together a complete building package for you. They ship fast and the shipping cost is very fair in my book.
Thanks for the insight. I prematurely ordered a 1-1/2 gallon kit today, so I contacted BBC about canceling that order (though could not find any info on the website about canceling an order)

Netpackrat
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Netpackrat » Tue May 19, 2020 7:16 pm

I didn't do much. Both of those links are on the study plan page on the BBC site if you ever lose them. That style of kayak is interesting to me so it was no hardship to look that up.

narfi
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by narfi » Tue May 19, 2020 7:38 pm

For both of my boats, HC14 canoe and Fast Skiff FS17, the panels were joined with fiberglass joints, no scarfs or buttblocks.
Like I said before I am hesitant to say what the designer would prefer for this design, but it seems like unless he specifies buttblocks that fiberglass splices are really strong, work well and are thin enough to feel like just a continuation of the panel instead of having the block in the way and affecting how the panels will bend around different areas.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Dougster » Thu May 21, 2020 9:12 am

Agree with Fuzz and Narfi; I don't recall using any butt blocks on the SK14, but go with the plan directions.

Dougster

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Thu May 21, 2020 11:59 am

All the above is correct. I avoid scarfs because it is very easy to make a bad scarf that will break. Scarfs are labor intensive and require good woodworking tools. They made sense before epoxy appeared. Today, a fiberglass splice is very easy to make and in most cases stronger than a scarf.
Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com