Daggerboard fountain when sailing in the ocean

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Daggerboard fountain when sailing in the ocean

Post by Jaysen » Tue May 26, 2020 11:49 am

I have a small problem with Lil Bit's big water sailing WHEN LOADED. I've been about 5mi out in her in 2' seas with no water coming through the dagger trunk opening. Load at the time was < 300lb (my fat posterior, sail/row, lunch, anchor). This weekend I had her loaded < 300 lbs (my posterior put on weight AND I added the boss), let's say she was 350-375. In 1-2' seas we had a fountain coming out of the daggerboard trunk. With the dagger in, it was a glorious spray that the wife found hilarious. I'm assuming the cause is the increased weight raising the waterline.

That's all good, but how the heck to do I stop it? I didn't need to bail as I was able to make a calculated change in course paralleling the waves until we were on shore. Boat had about 4" of water in her pretty quick though. I was thinking that some type of collar on the top seat that the dagger goes through would be the trick. Then again, there are much smarter people here than me, so I'm open to ideas.

Thanks!

Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
Currently starting a build of "Lil Bit More". A Class Mini 5.80
Class Mini 580 welcome post.
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:44 pm
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Daggerboard fountain when sailing in the ocean

Post by terrulian » Tue May 26, 2020 12:00 pm

Jaysen, This is a Jacques question. Boats are so different; but that said, I've never experienced exactly what you're describing.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm

I’m dang near certain that the “issue” is just wave peaks being higher than the top of the dagger trunk. 100+ lbs extra displacement and waves higher than the freeboard make me pretty confident it isn’t a design issue.

I guess I expect that someone somewhere is as crazy as I am and has already solved this problem.
Visit my official Class Globe 580 build blog at https://jaysenodell.com/globe-580
My already completed 'Lil Bit'. A Martens Goosen V12 set up to sail me to the fishing holes.
Jaysen wrote:
I tried to say something but God thought I was wrong and filled my mouth with saltwater. I kept my pie hole shut after that.

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue May 26, 2020 12:21 pm

Jaysen wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:20 pm
I’m dang near certain that the “issue” is just wave peaks being higher than the top of the dagger trunk. 100+ lbs extra displacement and waves higher than the freeboard make me pretty confident it isn’t a design issue.

I guess I expect that someone somewhere is as crazy as I am and has already solved this problem.
Also... remember that Lil Bit is a heavy girl. Extras glass on bottom. So she’s a bit of a low rider by nature.
Jaysen wrote:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue May 26, 2020 12:27 pm

Your explanation makes sense of course. Still, it's not like you're the first guy who's been to sea in waves higher than the freeboard.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue May 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Yes. I think it is just the waves topping the trunk.

For the record, Mrs is demanding another trip out there. Caught her looking at google maps in satellite zoomed in on the bar we stopped at. Asked her what she was doing. “Planning my next charter!”
Jaysen wrote:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue May 26, 2020 1:16 pm

Actually, that's really great. My wife is the best, but she doesn't really go for water sports like sailing or surfing or the like. But a funny story is that years ago, I taught her the basics on my 39-footer, which is a bit of a beast for the first time you take the helm. But she was an amazingly quick study and picked the fundamentals very quickly---despite which she still didn't take to it. :? Good thing is, she doesn't care what I do. --Or is that a good thing? :lol:
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue May 26, 2020 1:41 pm

I guess that depends if you are trying to build a class globe 580... I suddenly have a lot of buy in from the budget committee. But then she's talking about how to decorate the cabin (which ISN'T big enough for ANY decorations...)
Jaysen wrote:

terrulian
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by terrulian » Tue May 26, 2020 1:48 pm

I say let the girl rock and roll.
Tony

Jaysen
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Jaysen » Tue May 26, 2020 1:54 pm

Let's just say I didn't say tell her no. And I may have pointed her to the EMC color swatches.
Jaysen wrote: