Plyak12 shear clamp - single piece or sections?

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Plyak12 shear clamp - single piece or sections?

Post by gbgb » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:29 am

According to what I understand from the building notes and the drawings, the shear clamp is made of one piece (because the planes specify notches on the frames to allow for it). However in all the building progress reports that I saw it looks like the builders installed it as separate sections after the frames were installed (without the notches in the frames). Is there an advantage to one or the other? It seems to me that a single piece will provide longitudinal strength (maybe not require too much).
If installed as one piece. should/can it be glued to the sides before the stitching? I guess it will take a bit more force for bending during stitching, but it will be much easier to glue it to the flat panel before curving it and will save the need for many clamps. I am not sure but the notes imply that it is glued prior to stitching because it says to consider the shear clamp when drilling the holes for stitching on the deck.

Dougster
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Plyak12 shear clamp - single piece or sections?

Post by Dougster » Mon Jul 27, 2020 9:48 am

I think I used a single piece with notches in the frame. Can't remember too well :doh: Here's a link to my thread. Scroll down a bit for pic of boat with sheer exposed. It seems to jog my memory of notches in those frames. Anyway, that's sure seems the right way to do it.

Dougster

gbgb
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Plyak12 shear clamp - single piece or sections?

Post by gbgb » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:22 pm

Thanks.
For some reason I missed your thread when I searched for this info.
Yes, you did it in one piece. there is a photo specifically showing the gluing of the shear clamp to the side panel.