ORCA

Boats up to 15' for oars, power or sail. Please include the boat type in your question.
zeuson
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

ORCA

Post by zeuson » Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:38 pm

All,

Just wanted to mention that I have been regularly paddling my ORCA for the last year and almost one half. I did build it like a tank, but I don't worry about rocks either. It has always been stable enough to sit back and relax even in small waves, but still tippy enough to feel like a kayak. I'm building a strip built right now and have put together a folder, but both of those are very tippy and I don't know how to roll, yet. I think I will more than likely build another ORCA, but use the correct plywood and lay off of the fiberglass and epoxy, so it will weigh in the 40 lbs range, which will make it much easier to get in and out of the water. I can recommend it to the beginner. It was the first kayak I ever paddled and I have been in some 2 to 3 foot waves and I have never tipped in it. Now that I have said that I will probably tip over next time I go out!

Ken

Evan_Gatehouse
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Evan_Gatehouse » Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:46 pm

I could roll, when I practiced regularly, but for real world self rescue in moderate conditions, nothing beats a paddle float if the boat end of the paddle is well secured.

The only time I capsized my kayak (which had a hull form similar to the Orca) in 12 years of paddling, including some extremely rough conditions was 4-6' surf riding (and I was intentionally expecting to dump). Had it out in 35 knot winds, 6'+ breaking waves and didn't feel frightened, after the first 10 minutes.
designer: FB11/GV10,11,13/ HMD18/
SK17,MM21/MT24

Lon
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by Lon » Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:05 am

"Had it out in 35 knot winds" ..............

I can remember when on dry level land I could remain upright in 35 knot winds. :D :D :D
Lon FL14, GV11
Montana