Existing hard point

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
craig2up
New Poster
New Poster

Existing hard point

Post by craig2up » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:17 pm

A friend pointed out that I have a hard point on the side of my boat caused by a bulkhead. It causes a pimple about 1mm high. The boat is a 28 ft inboard powerboat and the hard point is about 1/3 forward of the stern midway between the gunwale and the waterline.
Is this just a cosmetic flaw or do I have a more serious problem on my hands?

BB Sig
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: Existing hard point

Post by BB Sig » Thu Jul 13, 2017 6:52 pm

That's aggravating but part of the adventure of owning a boat!

Can you get to the back side of the pimple? Did the opposite side develop a dimple? Pictures showing the problem will get better answers.

cape_fisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:31 pm

Is this a boat you purchased or a boat you are building? I"m assuming the former.

craig2up
New Poster
New Poster

Post by craig2up » Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:05 am

Right, it is a purchased boat. I will get a picture but not sure how to post it. I'm really trying to learn what to expect from a hard point such as this. I have read a lot about avoiding creating a hard point but nothing about why. Will the gel coat eventually crack? One "expert" said it could even lead to a fiberglass failure with a wide open rupture exposing the boat to direct water intake.
I'm trying to determine how aggressive I should go after it.

cape_fisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:27 am

What kind of boat is it? I'm assuming there is a bulkhead in that spot.

craig2up
New Poster
New Poster

Post by craig2up » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:25 pm

It's a 32' LOA pocket cruiser and yes, this is one of the main bulkheads that separates the cabin from the cockpit.
Do you have any useful information on what to expect from this hardpoint?

cvincent
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cvincent » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:29 pm

Do you see any stress cracks at the hard point? If you use the boat primarily in calm waters and do not subject the hull to high stress then the hard spot may not cause any problems. If you take the boat offshore in rough conditions, my thoughts are that the hard spot may cause the panel to flex repeatedly and over time possibly fail. It may be worth paying a marine surveyor to investigate and give an opinion.
Completed D15, Building PH18

craig2up
New Poster
New Poster

Post by craig2up » Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:14 am

Having a surveyor look it over is also in my thoughts. No stress cracks so far in the gel coat. I don't believe that sea state and banging hull will effect it up alongside the hull where it is. My main worry is hitting a dock unprotected with that hard point taking the blow. Also, we bought this boat "brand new" and it could lower the resale value should we go there. I don't want to approach the manufacturer until I have some concrete "facts" of what has happened to boats with similar flaws.

cape_fisherman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:31 am

If this is a new hull, simply go and look at other hulls of the same model. Be sure they don't all suffer the same issue. If they don't, then contact the manufacturer and see what they say. I have known plenty of boats go back and be fixed. These things are still put together by humans...mistakes happen...and reputable manufacturers, many times, have no issues fixing them.