Aquasport 19-6 Transom Replacement

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
PDUBYA
New Poster
New Poster

Aquasport 19-6 Transom Replacement

Post by PDUBYA » Sun Sep 10, 2017 8:37 pm

New here...

I've owned this boat for 13 years....I paid one days work installing a French Door for someone for the boat, trailer and motor. Motor proved to have a blown cylinder so it was repowered with a Yamaha 90 four stroke.

It had a few small soft spots in the deck that I've repaired. I've put off replacing the transom for too long now. I've researched and read a lot on the subject, but I'm still not clear on a layup schedule for my situation and plan for replacement.

First
Manufacturer Aquasport
Length 19-6
Beam 7-8
Power 90hp

I will be replacing the core from the outside. Transom thickness is 1.5 inches. I plan to seal all plywood with epoxy resin. Bond ply to inside skin by troweling thickened epoxy. Use thickened epoxy to fill any gaps at transom to hull sides. I understand the requirement to leave enough of the skin to allow for beveling at perimeter of repair. This repair is normally done by reusing the original skin, however, in this case I believe I need to layup a new skin.

The transom cap layer on this boat is about 3/4" thick/tall resin and glass and there is a crack that runs along most of the transom cap. I plan to layup a new skin on transom and carry it over the top and fair it the inner skin. Number of layers is not clear to me yet as I don't have a thickness of existing skin yet and I'm not clear on what type of fiberglass I should use. I'm going to try and get a photo of the crack uploaded.

Any guidance on a layup schedule would be appreciated

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Re: Aquasport 19-6 Transom Replacement

Post by Fuzz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 am

First welcome to the group, you will find lots of good help here. Have you looked at the tutorial on replacing a transom? If not take the time to read over it before you start. I will tell you after doing it on a couple of boats it will be a better job and much easier if you do it from the inside.

PDUBYA
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PDUBYA » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:18 am

Fuzz wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:09 am
First welcome to the group, you will find lots of good help here. Have you looked at the tutorial on replacing a transom? If not take the time to read over it before you start. I will tell you after doing it on a couple of boats it will be a better job and much easier if you do it from the inside.

I have read everything here and anything I could find elsewhere too. I don't agree that it will be easier from the inside. I would have to cut back the deck and gunnels to effect repair from the inside and then patch and fair them. I'm not worried about stringer rot as they are foam filled fiberglass.

With all the reading I've done on the subject I can't seam to get a clear understanding of the fiberglass types to use when done from the outside.

Thanks

PDUBYA
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PDUBYA » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:25 am

Here's a photo of crack in transom. Image

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:13 pm

Is the crack you are referring to the area where the cap joins to the hull? As for glass you can use 45 degree biax and 0-90 combo. That way you get reinforcement in all directions. Are you going to need to remove all of the outside skin? Anyway you go you will need to build the new glass back up to the original thickness.
Post lots of pictures and ask questions. You will get more help from others as soon as this weather event is over for them.

PDUBYA
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PDUBYA » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:23 pm

Thank you sir

I think I will draw up or mark up a photo to show my plan more clearly.

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 pm

Welcome to the site.
I'm not worried about stringer rot as they are foam filled fiberglass.
There are a few other things to think about the foam filled stringers, things you won't know without examination. The stringers are pre-made trapizoidal type that are laid into the hull and bonded with heavy cloth. They are then filled with foam and back in the day that the boat was made the foam used was not impervious to water and soaks it up, making your boat heavier. So the questions are: 1) Are the stringers solid still? Mine were cracked in half and caused the boat to twist slightly when I hit a wave. 2) Are the stringers detaching from the hull? This is quite common. I had some places that showed this. 3) Is the foam waterlogged? An exploratory hole or two drilled at the base of the stringer in the rear of boat will let you know.

About the transom - you can cut the skin off the aft side leaving a 2" lip all around and then dig out the plywood. Getting a solid piece back in of any type of material will be the challenge. I used 2 pieces of marine plywood and poly resin coated the inside and added a layer of 3oz CSM between the wood. Then drilled a dowel hole in opposing corners and put a wood dowel in each corner to line them up before setting about 10 cinder blocks on top. Make sure you are on a flat level surface - flat is the most important before putting all the weight on it.

The boat was made with poly. You can use epoxy to stick to poly but not the other way around. The outside of the boat was/is gelcoat. The transom is a very important part of the boat as it ties the aft part of the hull to the sides and bottom, making a whole hull. Now when the motor pushes on the transom it is pushing on the whole boat. By cutting out part of it you are compromising the integrity of the total hull. a 196 can handle up to a 200hp 2 stroke - usually a 150 is the norm. If the transom is not redone well and tied back into the total hull, it will be weak.

As for finish, you will now either need to gelcoat if you use poly or paint if you use epoxy.

If you cut 18" from the transom inside the hull and cut through liner, deck and stringers you won't compromise the integrity of the hull and won't have to re-finish the outside of the transom. Plus you'll be building it just like the OEM and end up with the strongest transom. Plus you can check for waterlogged stringers and delamination. When done, you can reattach the 18" that you cut out, and fair it in and refinish with paint or gelcoat.

Here is a link to my rebuild on this site - I used epoxy below the floor and poly above.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36834

PDUBYA
New Poster
New Poster

Post by PDUBYA » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:21 pm

Rickk wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:49 pm
Welcome to the site.
I'm not worried about stringer rot as they are foam filled fiberglass.
There are a few other things to think about the foam filled stringers, things you won't know without examination. The stringers are pre-made trapizoidal type that are laid into the hull and bonded with heavy cloth. They are then filled with foam and back in the day that the boat was made the foam used was not impervious to water and soaks it up, making your boat heavier. So the questions are: 1) Are the stringers solid still? Mine were cracked in half and caused the boat to twist slightly when I hit a wave. 2) Are the stringers detaching from the hull? This is quite common. I had some places that showed this. 3) Is the foam waterlogged? An exploratory hole or two drilled at the base of the stringer in the rear of boat will let you know.

About the transom - you can cut the skin off the aft side leaving a 2" lip all around and then dig out the plywood. Getting a solid piece back in of any type of material will be the challenge. I used 2 pieces of marine plywood and poly resin coated the inside and added a layer of 3oz CSM between the wood. Then drilled a dowel hole in opposing corners and put a wood dowel in each corner to line them up before setting about 10 cinder blocks on top. Make sure you are on a flat level surface - flat is the most important before putting all the weight on it.

The boat was made with poly. You can use epoxy to stick to poly but not the other way around. The outside of the boat was/is gelcoat. The transom is a very important part of the boat as it ties the aft part of the hull to the sides and bottom, making a whole hull. Now when the motor pushes on the transom it is pushing on the whole boat. By cutting out part of it you are compromising the integrity of the total hull. a 196 can handle up to a 200hp 2 stroke - usually a 150 is the norm. If the transom is not redone well and tied back into the total hull, it will be weak.

As for finish, you will now either need to gelcoat if you use poly or paint if you use epoxy.

If you cut 18" from the transom inside the hull and cut through liner, deck and stringers you won't compromise the integrity of the hull and won't have to re-finish the outside of the transom. Plus you'll be building it just like the OEM and end up with the strongest transom. Plus you can check for waterlogged stringers and delamination. When done, you can reattach the 18" that you cut out, and fair it in and refinish with paint or gelcoat.

Here is a link to my rebuild on this site - I used epoxy below the floor and poly above.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=36834

Thank you for that insight. When I first got the boat and repaired a few soft spots in the deck, I checked stringers at the sight of the repair, added a hatch just in front of the transom for addition of a pick up and live well pump. Checked stringers aft when I did that.

I also checked gas tank and replaced hoses etc. everywhere I have checked the stringers prove to be bone dry. I haven't found any delamination either. Transom skin isn't worth saving....many holes from mounting stuff etc, including the optional live wells they used to offer. Wish they were still with the boat.

My plan is to paint the boat in its entirety, so gel coat compatibility with epoxy won't be an issue in this case. The gel coat is very very very tired/oxidized/spider cracks etc. It'll get painted with a 2 part topside of some sort when I decide on product. I've already started repairing old attachment holes, crazing etc. I tried compound, wet sanding. I spent as much time on trying to bring the gel coat back I could have painted the boat twice.

I'll check out your link and thanks for that.

My mind is made up with regard to repair from the outside. I've been searching the net for years leading up to replacement. And I've read about many done this way without issue. I've been working with my hands for 44 years, carpenter by trade and feel I have what it takes to have a successful outcome.

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Wed Sep 13, 2017 5:36 am

Having carpentry skills is great, working with fiberglass is actually very easy.
The researching you've been doing - how did it attach the coring and to what? If your plan is to bond it to the liner and the ends of the stringers with thickened resin (that is your only option) and just a little along the sides and bottom, it may seem like it is sturdy but I venture to guess that it'll be half as strong as it would be if you did it from the inside. And if you are going to paint, it's should be a no brainer to do it from the inside. Doing nice clean cuts across the boat will make it very easy to re-use what you cut off, with a little feathering.
Bottom line, you'll get a much better and stronger result by doing it from the inside - I think you captured the approach from the outside when you mentioned a "repair" vs a rebuild - why bother going through all this unless it will be done right.
Just my $.02