Panga Transom Question

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mike Bergen
New Poster
New Poster

Re: Panga Transom Question

Post by Mike Bergen » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:37 pm

The transom core is not some strange stepped chunk of wood. If you look at the first photo in the linked gallery (my first post) you'll get an idea of the shape. The core is only inside the upper "batwing" shaped portion. The lower portion of the transom (The part with the pump and transducer mounted to it) is solid glass with no core. At some point nearing the rounded stern corners of the boat the transom core ends and there's poured foam. I know, all of this sounds weird- and it certainly is in relation to a Bateau-designed boat, but this boat rides really nicely.

I would cut around the edge of the "batwing" leaving a lip, then cut off the cap from the same area, remove old material, construct new core and bed into thickened epoxy, re-skin the outside of the batwing, re-attach the cut-off cap section and tape and blend it back in, then go fishing. I was also considering tabbing in mini stringers from the transom to the bulkhead with the hatches. Figure it couldn't hurt, though the boat only has 60hp and runs 30 mph and only 18 or so through any sort of sea so I'm not sure it would be necessary.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:59 pm

Been doing a little thinking about your transom problem.
I would normally say go from the inside but in this case I can see where that is a problem. I see aluminium plates on both sides of the transom. If you cut from the outside the plates will cover a lot of the new glass so fairing is not as big of a deal.
After getting the old wood out you might need to go back with something flexible like 1/4 plywood to make the bends. I see no problem using thinner wood, you just need more layers to get the final thickness.

cape man

Post by cape man » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:12 pm

Is there a wooden core on top?
The world always seems brighter when you've just made something that wasn't there before - Neil Gaiman

TomW1
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW1 » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:08 pm

It sounds and looks like the transom is fiberglass. Is this correct? If so we need to approach repairing it differently than if it is wood cored.

Tom
Restored Mirror Dinghy, Bought OD18 built by CL, Westlawn School of Yacht Design courses.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:32 pm

Unless I am misunderstanding the upper half in the center has a wood core. The rest is all glass. Please let us know if this is correct.

Mike Bergen
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Mike Bergen » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:45 am

Wood core top center
Foam filled chambers top sides rounding corners
Solid glass entire lower portion

I'm only concerned with replacing wood core top center and repairing crack in Cap

Thanks guys