Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Re: Privateer Retriever Rebuild

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:18 pm

The way I deal with the issue is to have lever plugs on the exterior. I don't like the risk of a plug falling out underway; so a spare is kept onboard and I test the hold almost every launch with a good tug.

I keep the plugs on the forward bow eye when not in the hull. This way, I never accidentely forget as I have to see the plugs to launch. You can forget to pull them; a fine if caught. Use a big D hook that is ally so it wears instead of eye; although my eye is wearing from the trailerp some.

Also, keep a can of WD40 in the motorwell to lube the plugs before inserting. Or spit works. Hmmm. No apologies.

I have no inside access to plugs. Before the law; had to remove battery and perm plug the boat.

My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

OrangeQuest
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by OrangeQuest » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:16 pm

Attaching the plug to the bow eye is a good idea. :)

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder » Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:56 pm

Thanks for the compliments. Means a lot coming from this crowd. Not sure on the direction I'll take with the drain but grateful everyone's input. I've never installed one of the flared tube drains - presumably I would need the proper flaring tool.

Not much to update. I did get the thru hulls / backing plates / seacocks installed totally. I waxed the flange, thru hull and bolts. Assembled everything with the backing plate embedded in thickened epoxy. Cleaned up the filet. The next day disassembled everything and de-waxed. Then I reassembled with copious 4200. Dry fitting many times in advance of this was key to success when it mattered. I feel like this took way longer than it should have...but that is how it goes.

A few pics of that:

No doubt that series is way more closeups of thru hulls than anyone wanted to see!

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:09 pm

So moving forward after the thru hulls I began to measure and cut the sole. I only cut out the stern most piece. Using 1/2 marine ply. I plan to epoxy the bottom and 1708 the topside. I have read others had a hard time getting the deck pieces in due to the wide gunnel cap - turns out that is a real thing! I couldn't get it past the cap.

So, I started to take off the rubrail with the realization that the cap would need to come off. I figured this would be needed anyway to work on some cap repair, but was hoping it could wait a bit.

The rubrail is attached via stainless screws on pretty close centers. Maybe 8". The ones near the stern are very hard to get out and I promptly snapped off 4 or 5. After that they came out easier. I only made it up one side of the boat before dark and rain came. Unfortunately I cracked the rubrail trying to pull it over the snapped off screws. Bummer. I was hoping I could reuse it. That may have only been wishful thinking as it is 35 year old rubber but I sheepshead fish under bridges tied off to pylons so having a pretty rubrail isn't high on my list of wants. I did price some of the Taco rubrails online as a result. They are a smaller height than I currently have and not a cheap part. Not sure what I'll do there. May depend on how the rest of the rail comes off.

Getting the rubrail / cap off and dry fitting the sole is where I am heading next I think.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:53 pm

You were talking about a flaring tool for the brass tubes. There is a set that came from Cracker Larry that gets passed around. I believe Dutch1 is the current holder. There is a thread in the tools section. I am sure if you contact him he will send them to you. They are sort of a legacy gift Larry left to all of us :wink:

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:40 am

Yes, the brass tube flaring tool. Makes me smile to know CL's tools are in shared use. Thanks for the tip. I wasn't aware.