1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by boguesounder » Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:47 am

Fallguy giving you some good advice on buy some commercial grade fairing compound.

I bought the two gallon kit of VC for my project. I have probably just less half of it left. I would think the 1/2 gallon kit would be enough for your needs. I didn't want to run out as after 24 hr you will need to sand for proper adhesion. I'd spray if you already have a setup for it.

I'm hesitant to give advice regarding the barrier coat. The product sheet is here: https://international-yachtpaint.com/s3 ... 1574119287. It doesn't state to use a primer prior to VC, but goes on state to use Interlux Watertite in between 1st and 2nd coat of VC if fairing is required. I did not use a "barrier coat".

I would give Interlux a shout on their tech line or shoot them an email for advice. I've found them to be very responsive. Keep us posted.

Thanks

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder » Thu Feb 13, 2020 10:15 am

Bet that boat scoots with a 115. Fair amount of weight on the stern for that hull. I'm sure the tabs help.

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico » Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:43 pm

It is a lot of weight back there and installing the jackplate definitely isn't going to help that situation. I'm hoping putting the tank under the floor and having the trolling motor batteries up front will help that situation. I am also going to raise the floor because as of right now it will not self bail.

It will scoot and the way it is propped it really pops right out of the water great. This is a big plus because when loaded with people,decoys, gear, layout boat etc I am not underpowered. There have been a few times when the wind has switched and we have been caught in rough water that having that throttle response and control when loaded have made me feel safer and always in control.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:01 am

I really like the way Interprotect 2000e goes on. Thin, low orange peel with a roller. They tell you 4-5 coats, but I did two and will add one more and then bottom paint.

Just applies so nice and easy.

The hardest thing about painting a boat is avoiding painting before fairing well. It is tricky because is hard to see wth you have, so we use carbon guide powder and then final sand.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:31 pm

I got some more sanding done this weekend and have the repairs to the bottom of the boat done. Next is to fair the hull before paint. Another question I have is about how much epoxy am I going to need for the rest of the project? It is going to be a total rebuild. I ran out this weekend repairing the bottom of the boat. I want to go on and order in bulk what I am going to need for the rest of the job. Also what is the difference between the Marinepoxy vs the silver tip? Is one stronger than the other? I see there is a big price difference. Like I stated before this boat is going to see a lot of hard use/abuse and I plan on keeping it for a very long time. I would rather it be over built or a little over kill than that will be good enough. Which epoxy do y’all prefer for these jobs?

boguesounder
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by boguesounder » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:56 pm

I didn't realize you were redoing the interior as well. Cool, I look forward to watching.

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:29 am

Silvertip is preferred when using foam core. It does not blush and works with all the other System3 products. It is a top of the line product. Marine epoxy will blush unless you are using slow hardner. The blush is easy to remove with a warm water scrubbing. If you want to use a system3 product over it you need to wait for a full cure. This depends on temps but something like 2-7 days will work. I have done this a lot and never had any problems. For non foam core uses I use Marine epoxy about 90% of the time and am well pleased with it.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:48 am

Mr Pamlico, give us a call at the shop and we can discuss your requirements and assist you in getting what you need!! We can also discuss our MarinEpoxy and SystemThree SilverTip products!!! Jeff

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:29 pm

I haven’t had much time to work on the boat but with there finally being some nice weather this weekend I’m hoping to have the bottom of the boat finished. A few more things to do and I’ll be ready to paint. Now I’m just trying to decide whether to roll on the vc performance epoxy or spray. I do not have a spray gun but I could pick one up from harbor freight for the job if the results would be better than rolling it on. The boat is outside so I am concerned about the wind if I do spray.

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Thu Mar 26, 2020 9:49 am

While I love the job a good sprayer can do, you'll have to pick a day when it's not windy or you'll be painting the neighborhood!

I've spent an afternoon getting tiny dots of paint off my boss' mother-in-law's car! Luckily for me, he was the one who did the spraying.
Hank