1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1979 19 ft Sea Ox rebuild

Post by Mr Pamlico » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:23 pm

This is my first layer cut out. I couldnt get it to roll over the back all at once so I decided to lay it out like this and then close in the top. I am not sure the best way to handle the tunnel.

If I leave it like in the picture above there is an overlap from the glass on the tunnel laying over the glass on the bottom of the hull. I planned on cutting it along the sharpie line along the tunnel so it will fit flush but that would leave the 2 pieces of glass ending right where the hull bottom meets the tunnel. Im thinking of laying it out where it would be flush with no overlaps and then I could come back and strengthen the tunnel. Just not sure the best way to do that and fill in the middle

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico » Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:26 pm

Also before I finished the transom I repaired the cracks along the tunnel with thickened epoxy and ran a piece of 1700 across tunnel from hull side to hull side

Fuzz
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Fuzz » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:48 pm

You can cut a piece to fill that gap. And then do like you said and lay a little more glass over the tunnel and out on to the hull.

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Fri Jul 31, 2020 10:43 pm

Looks fine; keep the overlaps; add some more glass.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico » Sun Aug 02, 2020 11:02 pm

I got the inside of my transom glassed yesterday morning. The tabbing didn't come out exactly right but its in there. I still need to do some sanding and cap the top. I took the floor out this afternoon. The stringers are in terrible shape. That should make getting them out easier. The fiberglass is peeling off the stringers in places and they are cracked up. There were 2x4s screwed and bolted to the stringers. The floor was laid on top of the old floor they left around the outside. Its totally rotten too and is going to have to come out. There were also a whole lot more screws

Now I just need to figure out my stringer height and gas tank so I can get the supplies on the way. I am planning on putting the tank under the floor and getting rid of the above deck tank under the lean post. I want to stay all composite so I am planning on using coosa for the stringers as well, just not sure on the thickness.

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:09 am

Seems like who ever did the "bubba" rebuild got a heck of a buy on screws :help:
Not surprised the stringers are rotten. The good news is it sounds like they are bad enough to be easy to remove.
Need to make sure the hull is supported well before removing the stringers. You do not want to give it a chance to change shape.
Never used coosia so I am not much help with that. Are you planning on keeping the deck at the same height or raising it?

fallguy1000
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fallguy1000 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 10:16 am

Screws in a boat. Ought to be a law.
My boat build is here -------->

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=62495

Mr Pamlico
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mr Pamlico » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:29 pm

I do plan on raising the deck. Not exactly sure how much yet. The boat would not self bail before and I know the jack plate will not help that. I’m hoping with the tank under the floor and maybe moving the batteries forward I will be able to make up for that. Before all weight was in the back of the boat. I need to take some measurements and see what size tank I can fit and that might help me determine my floor height as well. Trying to do some research to see how thick I need to go with the coosa for my stringers

Fuzz

Post by Fuzz » Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:45 pm

Not sure the cost of coosia but if it were me I would install 4 stringers 3/4 inch wide rather than two at 1.5inch. The height will keep them from flexing up and down. Bulkheads will keep them from flexing sideways.