Aquasport Rebuild - Classic "Flatback"

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:19 pm

The reason is the seam over the sides: we want it clean without that ridge, too difficult to fair. This way we don't touch the sides on the outside.
Joel and I discussed the possibility of building a transom away from the boat and then taping it but it is much stronger this way. All the layers overlap the sides and participate in the bond to the hull.
Joel may add to that, he his doing 99% of the work.
About the mat: a lamination must not only be strong but stiff and resistant to puncture. We quickly get sufficient strength with a few layers of directional glass but it's not thick enough for the other porperties. We need more thickness and we can get that with expensive material or cheap stuff like mat. We use mat.
That problem rarely appears with a plywood core because we get the sitffness from the plywood.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Mon Aug 07, 2006 2:20 pm

The new outside skin is tied into the hull by overlapping 12" up the sides and bottom. We could not have done this from the outside without a whole lot of grinding and fairing. from the outside of the hull

Also its nearly impossible to get 1708 to stay on a such an angle above vertical (transom angle) - it would just fall down. Unless we flipped the hull, then it would work.

Joel

I get your reference to the TV show 8) Next time you watch "that show", notice the trim angle on that SeaBird project boat :o
Last edited by tech_support on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chalk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Chalk » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:11 pm

I understand...More or less saved time (less sanding) :D

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:46 pm

Mold removed......

Robertk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robertk » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:23 am

Great job Shine,

I installed the lift on mine yesterday. It is a CMC with 5.5" setback. The transom was sound on it except for 2 hairline cracks. They were at the corners of the deepest cut out for the engine (Suzuki DT 200). I added three layers of 12 oz biaxial across the transom in that area. I have to decide what to do about paint as I need it inside and out. The floor is badly stained by rust. The fold out seat in front of the console is shot and I have added a hard T-top that I want to paint to match the boat. I was lucky that the boat was kept inside most of the time. I don't like the ventilation intakes on the bow deck, but know they are needed. Also there is a damaged area just behind the front deck on the port side. It looks like a heavy sharp object has been dropped there. I was told my boat is a 1991 year. I have the HIN number and would like to verify that date. The registration says 1990, but the engine is a 91 year model.

Best regards,
Robertk
Best regards,
Robert

roob76
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by roob76 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 10:26 am

wow that came out very nice and clean. i see now why you did it from the inside. plus it makes total sense that the 1708 would not stay on unless the boat was flipped. this is why i check this forum on a regular basis. i learn something new every day. you guys are amazing and i really appreciatte you sharing your expertise with us forum members. =D>

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:02 am

August 14, 2006

Put in first 2 layers of inside transom skin. First layer is 1708, second is DB1700. The inside skin will be 4 layers total of 17 oz. Biaxial glass. The first layer has mat (1708) because the mat helps conform to any uneven spots in the fillet. Subsequent layers will not have mat as it will just use more epoxy and not add strength.

I worked “wet on wetâ€
Last edited by tech_support on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

2stinger
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 2stinger » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:27 am

Joel,

Looks like your boat is back in floating order.

Do you have an estimated BOM for the transom replacement, I am getting ready to order materials and would love to have something to base my amounts on. The transom that I am replacing is roughly 33"x83".

How do you plan to clean the interior mat and roving glass, just sanding it. How about a lite pressure washing, it's not as if it hasn't been wet for 30 years anyway and with 99 degree heat (FLORIDA) it should be dry in a week.
Thank's

Andy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:35 am

You need a 24 grit grinding wheel attached to a grinder - and a tyvek suit :D

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:04 am

August22

Transom is complete!

Have spent the last couple days grinding out a path for the new stringers. Unfortunately it want not just a matter of cleaning a path, but removing 2 layer of roving and matt. Even with a 24 grit grinding disk, it took 6 hours total. Results are a clean path for the bond of the new stringers and about 40 pounds of fiberglass dust in the trash can.

Now I start taking some measurements for the stringers. I sure wish I could find someone who could give me some measurements of the original sole height :D :D

Joel