Aquasport Rebuild - Classic "Flatback"

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
fishingdan
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by fishingdan » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:10 am

Joel,

Was the sole of that boat have a core? Mine does and I'm trying to figure out how to replace the floor and deal with the two skins when it is time to integrate a new floor.

Dan

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:34 am

Dan,

Im not sure how practical it would be to save the lower skin of a cored sole. Its the lower skin that will be bonded to stringers and frames, so if your removing any of that I would be very hard to keep the lower sole skin intact.

I would take it all out.

Joel

2stinger
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 2stinger » Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:29 am

The channels that I see, are they left from the stringers or are they a feature of the hull.

If they are do you plan to run the new stringers in them or just fill them?
Thank's

Andy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:01 pm

2stinger wrote:The channels that I see...
Those are strakes molded into the hull, the stringers were a couple inches inside thos strakes.

Im 90% sure we will fill them in and glass over before installing the stringers :D

Robertk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robertk » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:11 pm

Joel I have some inspection plates and openings in the sole of my boat, Could I just use a dowel and get the measurements for you? I live in Sebastian.

Robertk
Best regards,
Robert

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:31 pm

Hi Robert,

I thought yours was a newer Aquasport? Im just looking for the sole height so I make the stringers high enough that the boat will self bail.

If its a flatback, then I'd love to know the distance from the sole surface to the top of the gunnels, also the distance from the transom to the console. Thanks

Joel

rustnrot
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by rustnrot » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:11 pm

What is that round looking thing? Is it a PVC pipe covered with glass?

What are your thoughts on using Prisma preforms that have an outer layer(s) of fiberglass bonded to an inner foam core for the stringers? I remember "That TV show boat guy" using them once.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:21 pm

That PVC pipe is a stiffener put in by the previous rebuilder - Im leaving it in until I get the new stringers in. the it comes out and a new center stringer goes in.

If you take all the internal supports out of the hull at once it will deform. Thats why we laft the gunnel cap and a lip of the sole - holds things in shape.

Also before putting in the stringers we are going to lay the hull into a "cradle" to ensure its fair.

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA » Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:08 pm

This is a great thread; I ran across the album and couldn't figure out how you were building the transon...now I see. Great project. A couple basic questions... (a) there always seemed to be some debate of how well epoxy would bond to polyester resin. Properly prepped, I guess its no problem? (b) I generally like to Aquasport lines, but what is so special about the flatback? How is different from newer ones?

Looking forward to see more....

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:26 am

Epoxy to polyester is about as good as it gets. Epoxy to polyester is MUCH MUCH better than polyester to polyester.

The flat back is popular because there is nothing made like it anymore. Nearly completely flat deadrise at the transom allows for a 10" true draft (better than most modern "bay" boats), but its still enough boat to take out in the Ocean. Plus it has a pretty shear line :D