Aquasport Rebuild - Classic "Flatback"

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:00 am

Steve_MA wrote:... (a) there always seemed to be some debate of how well epoxy would bond to polyester resin. Properly prepped, I guess its no problem?
The debate is about secondary bond between polyester. Nobody ever questioned epoxy, it is without doubt the strongest bond you can get.
In most cases, it is impossible to get a good bond between polyester and polyester. Unfortunately, many repair shops lack technical knowldege or are too cheap to use the correct resin.
Many polyester boat manufacturers now use DCPD poly. It is a better resin that ortho or isophtalic but you can't repair it except with epoxy. Polyester will peel off DCPD polyester.
That may be the debate that you had in mind.

Jacques Mertens - Designer
http://bateau.com

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:39 pm

August 25

Made templates for stringers. Having a lip of the old sole still in place allowed me to take a straight edge and square to take rough measurements of the stringer depth. Using those rough measurements I cut out templates from scrap plywood. Make sure when you join the scrap that you maintain a straight edge for the top. I cut the template an inch or so short on the hull side of the stringer so I could “floatâ€

Robertk
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Robertk » Fri Aug 25, 2006 4:58 pm

Joel you are right about my hull being different. It has a shallow "V" in the back.

Robertk
Best regards,
Robert

Steve_MA
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Steve_MA » Sat Aug 26, 2006 9:51 am

jacquesmm wrote:
Steve_MA wrote:...
That may be the debate that you had in mind.
How about on the outside of the transom where you are going to probably fill and tape to the hull - which is gelcoat. How do you repair and transition that area....I guess that might be a wait and see :D

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:11 am

The fiberglassing of the outside of the transom is complete.
I understand that some expect an extra overlap on the outside of the transom but this is not needed. The bond between the sides and transom is perfect as it is. Plus, the torque of the engine will go mostly to the stringers, sole and motorwell assembly. Count on us to make that part much stronger than it was. :wink:
Joel started with the outside skin in a fake mold: the Formica panel.
He did build up and overlapped the sides, the overlaps are there, nicely staggered.
Then he installed the foam core, build the inside skin with overlaps.
The whole thing is done with epoxy and much stronger than the original hull.
An epoxy lamination with directional glass has almost twice the tensile strength of a standard mat and roving in polyester.
The Aquasport like many boats of that period was made of the traditional 24 oz. roving alternated with 1.5 oz mat. And when Joel grinds, I see a lot of mat in there, those guys overused their chop gun.
The outside is very smooth. To finish he will use QuickFair but very little will be needed then apply the Sterling paint system over the whole boat.
No gel coat. Gel coat is cheap polyester and does not have as much gloss as LPU. Plus, the LPU has almost twice the Barkol hardness of gel coat.
All luxury yachts are finished with LPU, not gel coat.
This is going to be a much better boat than the original Aquasport or than the ones rebuild with polyester resin.
Last edited by jacquesmm on Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

laporter
Active Poster
Active Poster

!

Post by laporter » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:17 am

Jacques/Joel

I've enjoyed this thread a lot and have referred a couple of guys rebuilding boats to it for reference.

Will this project to refit the Aquasport influence any of your existing or future designs for similar boats? Possibly a foam only project?

It's something to read about these materials & processes but it's a million times better to see it happen. I can't way to try it for myself

Rick
Yours Aye!
Rick, Lori & Shadow

jacquesmm
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: !

Post by jacquesmm » Sat Aug 26, 2006 10:26 am

laporter wrote: Will this project to refit the Aquasport influence any of your existing or future designs for similar boats? Possibly a foam only project?
Rick
We always have foam or honeycomb sandwich in mind. My very first professional design in the 70's was for foam sandwich. I started using plywood only 14 years ago, for small boats.
Unfortunately, foam sandwich construction doesn't make sense for small boats. Those boats would be heavier and costly to build.
We have a PH15 version in foam sandwich but it is twice as expensive as the plywood version and maybe 10 times more difficult to build.
Sandwich construction becomes a valid material around 28'.
Foam scantlings are available for the VG26 and TW28. The new PG28 and the TW34 will each have foam sandwich as an alternate hull material.

2stinger
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by 2stinger » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:55 am

I noticed that on your project as in mine the boats really don't have any bulkheads. Maybe one or two around the fuel tank but even they don't go outside the stringers. How do you plan to change this configuration or will you keep it the same and just glass the sole to the sides. I would think that a bulkhead at each deck sole seem would be the minimum.
Thank's

Andy

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:15 am

We will build a "egg crate" stinger /frame grind just as in our designs.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:49 pm

Progress is being made :D Just finished one of the stringers. We have a nice flat/long bench on one of the walls behind the office, this made laminating the multiple layers of 17 ox Biaxial glass on each side a snap. The stringers are 2 layers of H80 Divinycell 1/2" glued together. The stringer probably weighs 40 pounds. It will be tabbed in with Biax tape as well as “cappedâ€
Last edited by tech_support on Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.