Avanti Transom Repair and More

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
milner351
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by milner351 » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:04 am

Nice work!

I'm following the seat install with great interest.

That's something I'll be redoing over the winter on the supra....
I don't have any height for even a seat track at this point, so, I'm not sure what I'm going to do.... other than cut out more of the dash to give my knees more room!

crasea
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crasea » Thu Jul 19, 2007 9:38 am

Thanks,
I hope the seat mounts are going in this weekend. I'll take several pictures of the construction.

crasea
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crasea » Wed Sep 12, 2007 12:58 pm

Hello again all!
It's been a while. Working on the boat so much put me in one of these:

Just kidding but I put the boat project on hold to catch up on neglected things and the third hottest month on record didn't help any either.

But I got the seat pedistal mounts made and installed. There are several pics in the gallery to show the construction. Here's one of the finished product. I think they will be much stronger then before. The little red dots are just to keep poxy out of the threads of the special nuts installed from the underside.

Also got the engine compartment area painted. Sure makes it look nice!
It did make the areas where some fairing might have been done much more visible, but this will be covered up.

sunkShips
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by sunkShips » Wed Sep 12, 2007 1:42 pm

Unbeliveable, Looks very NICE. Looks Professional, wait it dosent look professional, if it did it would NOT be Epoxy and not painted properly.

Nice Job, cant wait to see it on the water. DOH! I still need to post my pics on the water.

:)

crasea
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crasea » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:25 pm

I have a question about gas tank mounting. I have an aluminum tank, 20 gal I think. It sits on rubber bumper strips and is help down by two small screws on each side through a small angle bracket about 3 inched long welded to the side/bottom. Might work good for mirror smooth waters. I have read about tanks being secured by straps. Are some made specifically for tank hold down or have some of you just made your oun system? I'd be interested in ideas either way.

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:28 pm

You can buy a hold down kit that has straps made out of the same material as lawn chair seats.

I've used rubber bungee cords for years satisfactorily.

crasea
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crasea » Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:57 pm

Hello again all!
Well, I got the engine rebuilt this winter. Only had 3 pistons with broken rings. I wonder why it was smokin'??? Runs goooood now. One little rap on the throttle wants to spin it in the stand. I'm going to need the extra strength to the structure, built in, through the advise here.

Anyway on to another question. I have to drill 12 holes to mount the engine. (This is a stringer mount). I know I'm going to put poxy in the holes, but it seems like a waste to fill the holes and then drill most of it back out. If I filled them say, half, put in the lag bolts and let it set up, what would happen when I tried to take the bolts out? Would galvanized break free from the epoxy?

Option 2. Just fill em and drill em, but drill size is a question. What I would normally do is pick a drill thats the size of the shaft of the lag bolt, not counting the threads. Sound right?

Boomer
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Boomer » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:03 pm

If I filled them say, half, put in the lag bolts and let it set up, what would happen when I tried to take the bolts out?
You can actually make fine threads for machine bolts if you want to.

Wax the threads with wax--candle, car, whatever, and do what you propose.

If a bolt should stick, take a soldering iron, put on the bolt head, until it heats up nicely and it will back right out.

crasea
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by crasea » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:41 pm

Thanks Boomer.
I had thought about mold release or something, but not the soldering iron trick. Nice.

Good to hear from ya!