1973 Lobster Boat - Painting!

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1973 Lobster Boat Engine Box Re-build

Post by JamieT » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:45 pm

Hey Harry, I will e-mail the brochure and pictures. On the sound insulation it does work well however I put the 2lb foam in and the box is very heavy (approx 200lbs.) The boat is 50% quieter than before at 4 knots or less. Once the boat hits 5knots the water pulls away from the transom exposing the exhaust, with a straight pipe with no muffler is annoying while trolling. Now I have begun researching mufflers, the bilge space on this boat is very shallow and I can only fit a ski boat muffler or a Dapar.
Here is pic of the new box not painted yet, my new rod holders and custom drop down e-box. Trolled for 8 hours yesterday between 4 and 6 knots and burned 6.4 gallons, Whoo Hoo!
Jamie

Daddy
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Daddy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:57 pm

Great pictures, thanks, is your cockpit self bailing? How much headroom at the helm?
Daddy

JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamieT » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:17 am

Cockpit is semi self bailing, this style boat (at least at this size) has a belly. So the middle of the cockpit holds about an 1" of water before draining out the back. The head room is about 6' 2".

Daddy

Post by Daddy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:39 pm

Thanks Jamie

HarryH
New Poster
New Poster

Post by HarryH » Sun Jun 28, 2009 11:46 pm

Jamie....I have been away for a while, so I have just seen the latest pics....What a nice efficient boat. You've inspired me with further with these pictures. Today I ran a bunch of strips through my router, ready to finish the planking....if my health and other issues prevail, I should be finished with the hull late this summer....then onto the deck, trunk cabin, windshield and such which should move at a much better rate than the previous stuff.

I look forward to seeing the brochure and whatever else you plan to send along...this is like a min-goldmine to me. Tell me, is your cabin sole fiberglass, too? Or plywood or something else. I also am interested in how your deck is made tight, because the plans show the floorboards and sole right flush with the waterline..

-Harry

JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamieT » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:54 pm

More up dates,
I slacked off on finishing the engine box however it is now primed and ready for paint this week. In the mean time I have spent some time rewiring the boat and removed the old consol. I found a lot of older boats have most of the gauges and controls mounted directly to the bulk head. This also gives more room in the cockpit where you spend all you time anyway. I will be building a box to cover the wiring inside of the cabin eventually.
Before
After
Back in the water with the new helm

Next project is painting the rest of the boat. What is the best way to remove paint form a boat? All of the decks and floor have nonskid and the hull paint is peeling to the next layer of old paint. Should I use marine paint remover? Pressure washer? Sand it down or all three? Just like most people my time is very limited to work on the boat usually nights. So what is the best method? Pros and cons?

I was leaning toward the paint remover, sanding, filling and starting the paint process.
Thanks
Jamie

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:27 pm

JamieT wrote:
Next project is painting the rest of the boat. What is the best way to remove paint form a boat? All of the decks and floor have nonskid and the hull paint is peeling to the next layer of old paint. Should I use marine paint remover? Pressure washer? Sand it down or all three? Just like most people my time is very limited to work on the boat usually nights. So what is the best method? Pros and cons?

I was leaning toward the paint remover, sanding, filling and starting the paint process.
Thanks
Jamie
looks good, what a fun boat to own. i want a bigger sister.

To remove paint, i would just sand with a very aggressive grit (60 will make short work). Just be sure to remove anything that is not well bonded. I would avoid any paint stripper or solvent as it could cause a lot more trouble with the future coatings.

JamieT
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by JamieT » Mon Dec 28, 2009 5:07 pm

Thanks Joel, sand with orbital sander? After sanding with 60 should I work my way back to 180 fill sand and paint? I need to change my water line as it is too high now. Should i worry about airborne bottom paint?

TomW
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by TomW » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:33 pm

Jamie if you can attach a shop vac to your sander it will keep down 80% of the dust and then wear a dust mask for the rest especially on the bottom paint. No paint is fun to sand off. :(

Tom
Good fishing and red skys at night sailors delight
C17ccx, Mirror Dinghy

TW28RJ
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TW28RJ » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:42 am

I noticed that you replace the traditional lobster boat wheel.. if you didn't toss it I wouldn't mind grabbing it and refurbishing it for my TW28 build!

RJ