1971 170 Aquasport Rebuild

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 1971 170 Aquasport Rebuild

Post by Rickk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:09 pm

To catch everything up over here.
Next step for me is get the liner ready to roll back into the boat. The fishing rod inserts slide into a cutout in the side of the liner and when I removed the inserts way back when, they were through-bolted. What I noticed was that a few of the bolts missed any fiberglass and were just "there". I lam'd a few layers of cloth, marked the pieces holding them against the insert and glued it to the inside of the liner.

The next step in this rebuild is to sand and sand and.... then eventually re-gel the liner - gonna be fun.

I needed to pack away the tools and clean up the work area before I left for the UK so I decided to put the console in the boat this time - looks pretty good there

Pulled the excess hose down into the tank well

Been working on the cap/liner and the rod inserts for too long. :roll: Almost ready to spray gelcoat.

I flipped the liner onto some saw horses. I cut in the LED NAV lights and the pop up cleat into the bow end of the cap.

Hard to see some of the work

Getting closer....

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:13 pm

Started the day off with mounting the rod panels into the cutouts and securing them with bolts and pem nuts. Then I asked my wife and my buddy Eddie to help me flip the liner upside down.
I then glassed the back portions of the cap back on.

Now that the liner is upside down I can route out the areas by the front cleat and nav light and reinforce them with some coosa.

I "5 minute" epoxied them in

The coosa was a layer of glass shy of level so I lam'd a layer of cloth scraps on and then I lam'd a piece of cloth over everything. I also added a block of plascore that I over drilled, filled with thickened epoxy, buttered up the bottom of it, stuck it down and then covered it with cloth. This block is where I'll mount the terminal studs for the trolling motor power. Power from the battery will mount here as well as the wires going to the plug. I'll post pics of this later.

It'll be out of sight and easy to access the terminals

I added about 8 layers of cloth to reinforce where the rear cleats will go - should harden by next week :roll:

I installed the lugs and trimmed out the cloth over the holes

Then I dry fit the front cleat. I am going to cut cork as a gasket under the cleat when I install for real. I wonder why they would not include nylocs instead of this type of nut :scratch:

Main reason to dry fit was to get the water catch bowl pre-drilled into the coosa.

And then lightly tightened down.

Then removed everything and put it back away. Until next weekend.
Have to wait until the epoxy hardens to do any more destruction :twisted:

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:34 am

Just received this in the mail and need to get the backers installed before I flip the liner and set it in the boat.

I laid it out (with the help of Capt Matt :salut: ), measured and marked it, then routed the plascore for the coosa backers.

Set the coosa in place

Cut the mat and cloth

Measured and documented everything for when it comes time to install the mount

Glassed them in

I finished bolting the rod holders in and then I put some 1/4" foam strips on the back of them since I'm not real certain how close to the hull they'll end up. I assume there is some distance but this way if they are close and the hull flexes, like going over a wave, the holders won't make any noise. May not need them but just in case.

To finish up the weekend I flipped the liner over on the saw horses, finished the ends of the liner that I had cut off and re-attached last weekend and also cut in the cleats. Port.

Starboard - both liner tops look plenty thick now to support the cleats and if someone attempted to lift the boat by them.

And marked where the "puck" of the trolling motor mount will go.

Started the day off with my buddies helping me hoist the liner into the boat. Took all of 5 minutes but was awkward.

As you can see there is some scribing and cutting to make it fit. Anyway, these (and above) pics were taken at 10AM.

Kinda figured the liner would not allow the fill hoses under the sides so I'm glad I planned the fill to come up in front.

The front portion of the sole is where the casting deck will sit (you can see where I cut the casting deck out of the liner), so the sole will be supporting the casting deck about a foot at least.

The following pics were taken at 2PM. Got her all scribed in. Had to trim it about 8 times but slowly got it cut in.

Next is to put in the casting deck and see how much I need to trim off the front of the liner. Since I raised the floor the height and angle of it has changed a bit.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:02 pm

Looking good. Nice attention to detail! Should be a great boat when you get done! Keep the updates coming.
TG
You are what you is! And I is Done!

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:47 pm

Started working on the casting deck. Here I have it upside down on the saw horses and have cleaned up the front.

Here is the storage area hatch. I used a cutting wheel to lightly score around the coring and then used a crowbar on it.

The coring came out in one piece and the original coring was 1/4" plywood. I had added a top layer of 1/2" some years back to help stiffen it.

The hatch needs a good grinding.

On the underside of the casting deck the coring seems to be ok but I cut out the coring in the area around the screw holes where the hatch lid mounted. I'll glue in some coosa in the two areas.

I weighed the cloth and got a good idea of what I needed for the lid and added some weight for wetting the plascore scrim and other things I needed to lam up. Using 2:1 Epoxy. Old school math - no calculator or phone :lol:

Got it lam'd up

This should be a big improvement over the original lam.

I didn't fill the honeycomb on the edges this time so there is a little air at that spot. The rest it tight. I was more worried about how the cloth would follow the curve of the edge, since cloth doesn't like to curve at all.
Here was the lam schedule:
1 layer 1808 against the lid and up the edge of the outer lip
1 4" wide 1808 strip along the front edge of the lid to support it better - had a cracking problem there before
1 3/4oz matt the size of the plascore to give the 1808 and 1708 a little grip
1 1708 the size of the plascore
1 piece 3/4" plascore wet out on both sides
1 1708 the size of the 1708 on the outer side
1 layer 1708 to cover it all and up the edge of the outer lip

Should be stout as can be. Took every bit of 50oz of epoxy to lam it up.
I just removed the blocks and plastic and it's looking pretty good. Weighs about 10 lbs now.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:58 am

super impressive. Thank you for keeping up this thread :!:

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Mon May 12, 2014 6:40 am

I'm back at it - man it seems summer is here.
I found a perfect size PVC pipe to make the drain channel from

I started laying 3/4 oz mat on the new edge and laid a few layers of mat on it - tough to get it to stay over the slight rounded edge I filed on the jasper board.

Time to start making the hatch so I blocked out a form on a piece of plywood and screwed down the outside edge that I needed

I mixed some bondo and filleted the edges of the hatch

Cut the glass - 3 layers - 1.5oz/1708/1.5oz

I laid cheap plastic drop cloth inside the form and then I mixed the resin and let it rip on the 3 layers

After it kicked I waited a while and then I popped it out of the form and it doesn't look too bad.

A little more progress - did a little grinding/shaping on the hatch opening

Dry fit - a little snug but still pretty good fit.

Had to notch the hatch a little to fit over the drain

Here is a guide drawn on plastic for the layup of the hatch support.

Here is the layup with epoxy - 4 layers of 1708

and I put a layer of 1708 on each side of the jasper board also.

Finished the day up with adding another layer of mat on the hatch opening edge.

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Sun May 25, 2014 7:10 pm

Ok, so where'd I leave off.
I lam'd 1 more layer of 1708 on the inside of the hatch, buttered up the backing I made , laid that into the hatch and covered with another layer of 1708. Covered it with a drop cloth and laid some blocks on it for next week. This is how it came out of the plastic

Cleaned up the outside a bit

Set it in the opening for a double check on drain pipe clearance.

Next I started on the hatch support. I trimmed it down, notched where it needed to be

and traced the outside edge so I knew how much to butter up.

I mixed up some thickened epoxy and troweled it on the inside area. I then set the support into the paste and pressed it in. Nice ooze out.

I scraped up the excess, covered it with plastic and put a bunch of blocks on it for the night

This morning removed everything, cleaned it and it came out pretty nice

I flipped the deck over and cleaned up the ooze out on the top.

The drain trough came out nice too.

Took a little time to clean up the ooze out but it's nice and clean now

Dropped the hatch in for the final fit

It came out a little proud of the deck - hmmm - looks good though

I took a router and routed out 1/8" around the edge so it could drop down a bit into the hatch area - then the hatch fit flush :cheers: (cut out all the air bubbles caused by the edge in the process :wink: )

Started filling in the gap around the perimeter on the casting deck so it will touch the liner. I start with poly because I will be gelcoating the inside of the boat. I will come back next weekend and lam a layer of 1708 with epoxy to stiffen it up. Then on the top I'll start building it up a little with poly before I scribe cut it to the liner.

After the sides kicked it was time to set it on end to fill in the sides of the face of the deck. Nice pic of the new width.

One last pic of the hatch support. I had lam'd another layer of 3/4 oz cloth to the upper edge. I also, at the last minute (after I took this pic), I added another layer of 3/4oz in the drain trough to seal up one open area.

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Sun May 25, 2014 7:45 pm

That is some impressive work Rick :!: You could teach Aquasport something about how to build a boat :D
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

Rickk
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Rickk » Mon May 26, 2014 8:00 pm

Thanks Larry. I learn something every day I start working on this. Since I've never done this depth of FG work, it's all a learning process.