1991 stratos bass boat restoration.

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: 1991 stratos bass boat restoration.

Post by backwoods1975 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:58 am

How in the world do I keep the little white spots out from under 1708 cloth? I get it looking all nice then turn my head and BAM! there they are.

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:22 am

supposing that you have enough resin on it... that normally means there is something sticking up, or a depression on the surface

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:44 am

how bad does that hurt the strength of the glass. I'm thinking it was a combination of both. I'm doing better but should the resin be smooth on top of the cloth? so far mine hasnt been. I can still feel the cloth but they are coated in resin. Make sense

Cracker Larry
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Cracker Larry » Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:48 am

No, it won't be smooth on top of the cloth, the weave should still stand out. It needs to be smooth under the cloth before you put it down, then wet out good, repeatedly, with a roller.
Completed GF12 X 2, GF16, OD18, FS18, GF5, GF18, CL6
"Ships are the nearest things to dreams that hands have ever made." -Robert N. Rose

ks8
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *
Location: Now a much longer sail to Tampa Florida! Back to NC, Youngsville FM05tw

Post by ks8 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:54 pm

pictures of the situation?

pee wee
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by pee wee » Wed Jan 29, 2014 5:43 pm

Cracker Larry wrote:No, it won't be smooth on top of the cloth, the weave should still stand out. It needs to be smooth under the cloth before you put it down, then wet out good, repeatedly, with a roller.
So in the case where one layer of biax goes over another, do you fill the weave of the bottom layer with epoxy & woodflour? What if you're working left side/right side of the hull in one operation and the pieces of fiberglass overlap in the middle- straight epoxy or some filler under the overlap?
Hank

Walkers Run
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Walkers Run » Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:43 pm

So in the case where one layer of biax goes over another, do you fill the weave of the bottom layer with epoxy & woodflour? What if you're working left side/right side of the hull in one operation and the pieces of fiberglass overlap in the middle- straight epoxy or some filler under the overlap?[/quote]

Not if your working wet on wet. If your going over cured epoxy/glass, after sanding a loose slury of epoxy/wood flower helps. Wet on wet just work the overlap with an epoxy roller.
"Do. Or do not. There is no try" - Yoda
https://youtu.be/nzWO9FVJODo

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:21 pm

Image This is the pad where the bilge pumps will mount.

This picture shows some of the spots I am talking about.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:48 pm

It looks like you may not be starting with a very flat or smooth surface so it will be hard to get the heavier cloth to lay down in there and it will require more resin to fill those gaps or it may pull in air bubbles.. You may need to grind a little more, but overall I don't think it looks that bad. You are still getting a lot of surface area bond and that is primarily just adding thickness, so I don't know that you should be too worried. Like someone said above, keep working it with your hard roller. I usually come back over it several times to work in the resin and work out the air as it continues to set up.
You are what you is! And I is Done!

backwoods1975
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by backwoods1975 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:58 am

thanks fitz, I was getting worried that I was gonna have to grind it all back out. I agree with you that I should have had it smoother before I started, just didn't know how good it needed to be.