Need suggestions - Leaning Post (well, box)

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
va12
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Need suggestions - Leaning Post (well, box)

Post by va12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:01 am

The basic work on the panga is coming along. Per Joel's suggestion, I ground, epoxied, and glassed the gunwale edges and am getting ready to start working on the install of the console, rigging, etc.

After thinking about it (too much, probably), what makes the most sense to me is a leaning box to house the topside tank, provide much needed storage, and also a work table on the boat. I'm hoping some of you might have some suggestions on height and details to make it most useful and comfortable. Here's the basic sketch. Note that I'm considering a radius on the front top edge. After making that drawing, it occurred to me that an angled panel might be simpler to build and also comfortable.

I don't plan to sit much while underway, so the ergonomics of sitting & steering is very secondary.

va12
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Need suggestions - Leaning Post (well, box)

Post by va12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:03 am

Also, what's the recommended construction layup on something like this? 3/8" or 1/2"? A couple of layers on the outside and one on the inside for protection?

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:05 am

If its open on one side (for the portable tank) then I would probably use 1/2". You want round joints, between parts and also on cut outs.

If those are rod holders on the side, I would not put them there, that is a high traffic area and your going to get snagged all the time.

Other than that it looks pretty functional :)

va12
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by va12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 12:06 pm

You think this might work better for rod tube location? :D

Seriously, why would putting rod tubes alongside the console be any different? I get your point, though. I may try a mockup clamped on there and see how much it bothers.

No comfort problems with just a square box, all edges rounded over with a 1/2" roundover bit on the router? I assume it should be just tall enough so that my butt is leaning against the vertical front, and not getting jammed by the top edge. Taller riders can suffer.

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:28 pm

You could easily make a simple "wrap and staple" vinyl covered leaning pad on that front 90 degree corner. It would look nice and save your butt on long days..

You are what you is! And I is Done!

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:59 pm

Seriously, why would putting rod tubes alongside the console be any different? I get your point, though. I may try a mockup clamped on there and see how much it bothers.
If you make a mockup, you will see how different moving around your seat is from moving around your console.

You can certainly put some angles rod-holders on the top part - that is very useful

like this...

Steven
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Post by Steven » Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:51 pm

I made my leaning Post with an integrated live well. Could leave off the live well and leave that area open as you suggest. I used 1/4" wrapped in a single layer of 12oz biax cloth. The inside corners are basically cleate. I glued a cleat to the bottom inner edged for extra gluing surface to the deck, and used 12oz. biax tape around the outside. Very strong.

Here's a shot of the internal framing. I have a hatch on the front. You can see the double cleat around the bottom.

va12
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by va12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:09 pm

Thank you very much, Steven, that is very helpful and, with a finished edge to the opening and a shelf inside, pretty much what I'm looking to make. Can you tell me how high it is, and if you'd do anything differently?

Also, did you only glue it to the deck? I was considering that, but thought I'd get scolded by someone here for not bolting it down. I'd prefer to minimize (or eliminate) holes into the sole piece.

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed Feb 05, 2014 4:56 pm

I'll get you the dimension but you really want it made for your comfort. You never have to use bolts on anything on these boats unless you want it removable. Glue it, Glass it, Forget it. Make it one with the Hull. ;)

I like it very much the way it is. The front edge could be rounded some more, but I've never been uncomfortable. It's tall enough My leg rest against it and I don't really lean my butt on the edge.

va12
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by va12 » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:24 pm

Whoa...you mean the edge isn't up higher than your butt, but just up to the top of your legs? I was planning to go the height of kitchen counters so I'd be totally leaning against the front. (I'm not tall.) This is the part that's got me flip-flopping.