24 Sea Bird CC

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jwdyess
New Poster
New Poster

24 Sea Bird CC

Post by Jwdyess » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:07 pm

well I have been looking for a good project hull for some time now and I finally found the sea bird that i have been hunting.

I have a few restore jobs under my belt but this one will be a little out of my league so I could use some coaching a design ideas

the goal is a hardcore fishing machine no frills all practical.

I would like to have a flat deck with no step.

other then that I am open to ideas throw them at me !

thanks in advance!

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Re: 24 Sea Bird CC

Post by FitzFisher » Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Looks like a cool project. I like the lines a lot. I am not an expert on I/O's or inboards, but I was thinking about your statement that you want a flat deck with no steps. I assume you are talking about the foredeck area. One thing to keep in mind for fishing and just in general. Since the hull steepens so much towards the bow, if you keep the floor at one level all the way forward, you get a very small floor space and it puts you a good bit farther away from the gunnels, so it becomes awkward to fish there. I would (and have) gone the other direction, by moving the deck up in the front, you gain valuable space under the fore deck for a fish box, storage, or what ever and get more useable deck area. Since the back of the boat is taken up so much by the engine house, all the room forward will be valuable. The more under deck storage you have, the less space that is cluttered with stuff when you are moving around. Are you going to be pulling the inner liner to replace the stringers etc? If so, do some mock ups with cardboard and see how things change in that sense.

Good Luck
Tom
You are what you is! And I is Done!

Jwdyess
New Poster
New Poster

Post by Jwdyess » Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:16 pm

the deck will def have to be raised....we are looking about 6" that would give me 27" high sides at the a$$ end... and plenty of room for fuel...

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Sounds good as long as it doesn't raise the center of gravity too much. An engineer would have to answer that one.

I'm looking forward to wATCHING THAT ONE.

tg

tech_support
Very Active Poster
Very Active Poster

Post by tech_support » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:05 am

fitz describes exactly the reason most all 23' or less CC's have a step up towards the bow.

The step up is not a bad compromise, you want as much cockpit depth as possible. If you raise the sole to a higher level in order to avoid the step, then you will be raising the CG A LOT on a small boat - not good. When you raise the sole, your raising also: the people standing on the sole, the console, batteries, baitwell, coolers, etc. This could easily add up to 1000+ pounds

FitzFisher
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by FitzFisher » Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:33 pm

Just to add a thought, that boat also appears a bit narrow for its length. Raising the CG will affect the amount of roll, which is not good for a grouper digger (or most offshore boats for that matter.) A guy I know figured that out after adding a hard top and tower and a ton of other accessories on an old 25 Mako Cuddy with barely an 8 foot beam. The thing rolls like an SOB now...not much fun...

Good luck with it.
TG