28 BERTRAM EXPRESS CONVERSION

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 28 BERTRAM EXPRESS CONVERSION

Post by Jeff » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:56 pm

Daytrip, are they in South Florida?? Thanks for the help!! Jeff

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:34 am

I got mine from a boat yard that does repairs. It came out of sailboat keels. I put too much in. Going to have to start removing some so I will have some if you are close.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:32 am

Mbiggerstaff, the customer is in South Florida!! Thank you but I will keep looking for a local purchase!! Thank you again, Jeff

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Wed May 31, 2017 9:03 am

It looks like this project has come to an end. I made my first trip offshore this past weekend and ended up with mahi-mahi to share. Since last post i added 1000lb lead for weight and ended up taking it out. After I filled her with fuel, gear and a couple of crew i had difficulty getting her going. Engine would not spin up. Ended up downsizing the props by 2 sizes to finally her performing well. With current props i cruse at 21-22 its and top end at 26-27. fished all day Saturday with a 2 1/2 hour run each way to the steam and back and burned 70 gallons of diesel. Here are some pix of the finished boat. Will be starting the next one in July so look for that one to start. Still trying to decide if I'm going to do I/O or outboard. Be on the lookout.

I want to thank everyone for your help and encouragement. It has been a big help.

Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Jeff » Wed May 31, 2017 9:16 am

Mbiggerstaff, She looks and performs great, congratulations!!! Jeff

DAYTRIP
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by DAYTRIP » Wed May 31, 2017 4:56 pm

Awesome Mike! 70 gallons is unreal. So your performance matches the twin gas inboards it sounds like but the fuel burn is way better. Took all the lead back out. Wow.

I still intend to send you those rigger based if you still want them. When you get going on the next let me know if I can help you at all. Congrats! That is huge accomplishment and I can imagine a great feeling.

Jim

Browndog
* Bateau Builder *
* Bateau Builder *

Post by Browndog » Wed May 31, 2017 8:44 pm

Looks great. What a purpose built fishing machine! Best wishes for many years of enjoyment.

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:00 pm

Thanks Jim for all you help. Your post have been an inspiration. Yours is getting really close as well. I love the tower! I would still like the bases when you get a chance to send them my way but there is no rush. I'm looking forward to the next one. Have some ideas but nothing definitive.

Mbiggerstaff
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by Mbiggerstaff » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:51 am

Hey guys, I need some help/advice. I used the boat to fish The Big Rock here in NC this past week so I gave it a good workout under every condition possible, slick calm to 4-6 ft seas. I have 2 issues that I need advice on. First is acceleration. The engine is a 370 hp Yanmar. The boat spins up really slow. It takes a long time to get the RPMs up enough for the turbo to kick in. I backed off on prop size already which helped but did not resolve the issue. Dropping prop size reduced my cruse from 26 to 22. If I drop it again I will be below my acceptable limits. Does this sound like a HP issue? Would increasing HP resolve this issue? If so by how much. I can get a Yanmar 440 hp in the same engine package that would be an exact drop in or do I need to go with something in the 500 HP range?

Second is down sea performance. Even on a quartering sea the boat slides and skates terribly. The boat is still really lite with the chines not in the water sitting still. Will making it heavier help with the sliding or is this just how the deep V of a Bertram performs. If I add a lot more weight will it help and if I do that what about my issue with acceleration.

Thanks for the advice in advance.

cape_fisherman
Active Poster
Active Poster

Post by cape_fisherman » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:30 am

For your prop questions, I would suggest you pop in at Bull's over in Beaufort.