Post-Build Additions

Questions about boat repairs with our resins and fiberglass: hull patches, transoms and stringers, foam, rot etc.
August_D'Angelo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post-Build Additions

Post by August_D'Angelo » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:38 am

Hello all,

This thread is not directly related to any specific boat plans. I have decided to try my hand at a few project boats before trying to build a boat. Anyways, I have a found a few potential project boats but I need some help from people who have done this before.

My project boat would include a front/back deck, a false floor (of the floor isn't already flat), and possibly gunnels.

First, is it possible to install gunnels after a build? If so how would I do it. I have some ideas but want to hear what y'all have to say.

Second, how would I go about installing a false floor? From what I've seen, I would glue down some stringers and then glass those, then put my floor on that. Is is that easy? Do I need to prep the old fiberglass in any way?

Finally, how would I install my front and back decks? I've seen a couple articles on it and from what I've seen it goes like this:
Install a rail of sort and lock it down with resin/liquid nails and clamp it down. Then, glass that down. Then put the actual deck on these rails and glass it down. Is that about right? Once again, do I have to prep the original fiberglass in any way?

Thanks for all the help as usual.

Soon to be FS18 builder

remedy32
* Bateau Builder - Expert *
* Bateau Builder - Expert *

Re: Post-Build Additions

Post by remedy32 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 9:59 am

The work you've described is all pretty straight forward if you already have experience working with resins, glass and grinding. I assume that these mods would be to an older molded fg hull. If your ultimate goal is to build from scratch, I'd suggest building a smaller simpler design to start. You'll have much more support that's specific to getting the job done right from others who have done the same job before. The mods/repairs are IMO best learned with the hands on help of others and through much trial and error.

Just my 2 cents.

Bill

Woods Designs
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Post-Build Additions

Post by Woods Designs » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:09 am

Obviously without knowing the boat you plan to modify all comments can only be vague/generalised.

But you can do pretty much anything with an existing grp hull. What you must always do though is clean and then grind the old fibreglass before doing any new laminating. If you want to glass onto gelcoat then it is best to grind it off completely. Otherwise the new glass won't bond. Also remember that, whatever you do, you will be adding weight to the boat. That will reduce freeboard and performance and may well reduce stability and buoyancy

Richard Woods